THE personality of the 20th century

A place for some light-hearted chat.
After the Storm

Re: THE personality of the 20th century

Post by After the Storm »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:02 pm
A question on France's current version of Who wants to be a Millionaire (at Home) tonight is worthy of a separate subject and discussion, perhaps.

The question: Who was chosen as Time magazine's personality of the 20th century?
A. Gandhi
B. Martin Luther King
C. Albert Einstein
D. Winston Churchill

I know you can google the answer, but I can see arguments for any one of them being chosen.
Why are there no women in that list?

:innocent:

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Do you know any?

Beyond his sterling support of Europe, I must be honest and say I know very little of Roosevelt.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Timoth wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:49 pm
Do you know any?

Beyond his sterling support of Europe, I must be honest and say I know very little of Roosevelt.
Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Boudicca

Elizabeth I

Katie Price

(Maybe not the last one)

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

In terms of reach perhaps the Kardashians!🙊

After the Storm

Timoth wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:49 pm
Do you know any?

My goodness where should I start, well I suppose I could look at the list in the OP for ideas

A. Gandhi. ....as jsks suggested, Mother Teresa or why not Indira Gandhi, she was after all the world's longest-serving female Prime Minister when she was assassinated and that has not been surpassed by anyone.
B. Martin Luther King .....why not Rosa Parks
C. Albert Einstein....Marie Curie or how about Barbara McClintock (Awards and recognition for her contributions to the field followed, including the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, awarded to her in 1983 for the discovery of genetic transposition; she was the only woman to receive an unshared Nobel Prize in that category.)
D. Winston Churchill...I guess would some would say Thatcher, me probably since others have suggested Roosevelt, I would actually pick Eleanor Roosevelt.

Admit to not quite getting the question regarding personality of the century, do they just mean who was known the most? In which case I’d probably say, Madonna. What criteria are we talking about exactly? Powerful? What they achieved? Whether they were known around the world?

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

After the Storm wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:40 pm
A question on France's current version of Who wants to be a Millionaire (at Home) tonight is worthy of a separate subject and discussion, perhaps.

The question: Who was chosen as Time magazine's personality of the 20th century?
A. Gandhi
B. Martin Luther King
C. Albert Einstein
D. Winston Churchill

I know you can google the answer, but I can see arguments for any one of them being chosen.

If we are discussing personality and women then Margaret Thatcher ranks number one. At the time she was the best thing that happened to the UK politically speaking. Just two flaws in her time as our wonderful leader.
1. Care in the community.
2. Nationalisation of public transport. (Sorry Dad I did tell you.)

Our great leader, always in my heart.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

This is the Wiki entry for the Time 100: The Most Important People of the Century - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_100: ... he_Century

The lists, with some interesting inclusions, are here - http://content.time.com/time/magazine/a ... 73,00.html, and you'll be pleased to see, AtS, that there are women among them. As to why there were no women in the OP, I was simply re-writing the question as it appeared on the TV show, and I translated "la" personalité as THE personality, which was perhaps a mistake, as the word doesn't strictly mean the same in English as in French.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

After the Storm

Wed May 27, 2020 6:08 pm
This is the Wiki entry for the Time 100: The Most Important People of the Century - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_100: ... he_Century

The lists, with some interesting inclusions, are here - http://content.time.com/time/magazine/a ... 73,00.html, and you'll be pleased to see, AtS, that there are women among them. As to why there were no women in the OP, I was simply re-writing the question as it appeared on the TV show, and I translated "la" personalité as THE personality, which was perhaps a mistake, as the word doesn't strictly mean the same in English as in French.
No worries, I know you copied it and didn’t put the list together, I was just having a little fun generally not specifically, I quoted the OP just to show the names and hence the :innocent:

Ally

Post by Ally »

After the Storm wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:40 pm

A. Gandhi
B. Martin Luther King
C. Albert Einstein
D. Winston Churchill

They need to up their game.

After the Storm

Emily Maitlis upped her game and out classes most male journalists, look where it has got her tonight. If it had been a bloke, do I think they would have done that? Nope, I don’t actually.