Ants and filtered coffee

A place for some light-hearted chat.
whyme?

Re: Ants and filtered coffee

Post by whyme? »

I bought a pulveriser bottle of stuff at Noz yonks ago & completly forgot about it until we had ants strolling about along the internal cills of our kitchen windows, door & skirtings. A fine spray of the stuff has seen 'em off for about 3 weeks now & apparently one treatment is good for 3 months.
The bottle contains one litre so more than enough for years of treatment.
Oh yeah! the stuff is called 'acto'. Rempart a insectes

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

After the Storm wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:03 pm
manonthemoon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:59 pm
A home made antkiller I've found is equal amounts of icing sugar and bicarbonate of soda.

Theory is that icing sugar attracts the ants and the bicarbonate blows them up. Ants who die are eaten by fellow ants who also die 🤣. Weve been inundated with them this year.
A little concerned by that mad smilie after reading about ants blowing up :lol:
Reminds me of the old wheeze of baiting various snacks with carbide and watching the seagulls nick them. :roll:
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Not long after we moved to France, one day I noticed a strange black stripe on the ground outside which stretched all the way across the grass of our front garden to the french doors of our bedroom. I went inside and found to my horror that the line extended inside and across our bedroom floor and that it was made up of millions of ants.

Remembering my visits to Cyprus where my parents lived and often had ant problems and my mother made ant killer with diluted washing up liquid, I did the same and sprayed the offending ants thoroughly with the deadly potion. It worked almost instantly and the line of ants soon disappeared.

However, it was not long before the line re-appeared and so this time I followed it to see where they were going….up the wall....into a cupboard…where there was a handbag…and in the bottom of the handbag was…. one single 'Tune'! (the menthol sweets, do you remember them?)

Once the sweet was disposed of, no more problem, but...just how the hell did they find it? :shock:

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

‘ A little concerned by that mad smilie after reading about ants blowing up :lol:
Don’t you mean seagulls.

I wonder if it works on magpies :innocent: :innocent:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Crystal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:36 pm
Once the sweet was disposed of, no more problem, but...just how the hell did they find it? :shock:
They heard it, they are not tone deaf you know!!!

Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Very funny! :lol:

Crystal

Post by Crystal »

manonthemoon wrote:
A home made antkiller I've found is equal amounts of icing sugar and bicarbonate of soda.

Theory is that icing sugar attracts the ants and the bicarbonate blows them up. Ants who die are eaten by fellow ants who also die 🤣. Weve been inundated with them this year.
Try spraying them with diluted washing up liquid - it works.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Crystal wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:00 pm
manonthemoon wrote:

Try spraying them with diluted washing up liquid - it works.
Nah I like the thought of 100s of ants gorging on each other then blowing up.

I will try the washing up liquid recommendation. I've often tried boiling water with bleach, doesn't seem to work.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Nifty wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:41 pm
‘ A little concerned by that mad smilie after reading about ants blowing up :lol:
Don’t you mean seagulls.

I wonder if it works on magpies :innocent: :innocent:
Nope, she definitely said exploding ants :shock: again :) what’s wrong with magpies, the ones round here don’t try to get in the house.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

They eat the eggs and young of other birds. Last year in the nesting season I found several nests of smaller garden birds, that were full of chicks or eggs the previous day, which had been destroyed. The only thing that I can link it to is a pair of magpies that are nesting nearby. Not for much longer if I have my way.

Pity. I admire their balls and intelligence even if they are cowardly cannibalistic scavengers, but, I admire my garden with lots of birds in it as well. Last year the deficit was very obvious.