Impots and declaring a UK salary

Spardo

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by Spardo »

suein56 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:04 am
Spardo .. if you ring your local tax office and explain that, this year, you are really struggling with the online form and could they please send you the forms you need in the post.
Then you can do as you used to and complete a copy until you get it right then transfer it to the master copy and post it.
If your French is really good then it might help to stumble a bit here and there when speaking on the phone 😊 or it might not.
Well I might call in there this afternoon, if they are open, but ringing is not an option, I have enough trouble understanding English on the phone never mind French. :) As far as my working life is concerned, it still never ceases to amaze me how I got through all those years of addresses and instructions with out more than one misunderstanding. :roll:

suein56
Posts: 6732
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:51 am
Location: Close to the sea in Morbihan
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by suein56 »

Spardo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:21 am

Well I might call in there this afternoon, if they are open, but ringing is not an option, I have enough trouble understanding English on the phone never mind French. :) As far as my working life is concerned, it still never ceases to amaze me how I got through all those years of addresses and instructions with out more than one misunderstanding. :roll:
They will have to order the pre-filled in forms as they are personal to your household.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

elsie
Posts: 1037
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 pm
Location: Western foothills of the Vosges
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by elsie »

Spardo: The forms are really meant for the French and declaration by foreigners isn't really taken into account of explained separately.

As you have foreign income you need to complete 2047 first. Various figures from 2047 e.g. 8TK are then automatically copied back to 2042. I don't think you can correct figures on 2042 that have been transferred automatically from 2047.

If you log out and log into the system again it should take you back to the first page and you can then click Continuer then Suivant on the following pages until you get to the SELECTIONNEZ CI-DESSOUS LES RUBRIQUES QUE VOUS SOUHAITEZ FAIRE APPARAITRE Make sure you click on Pensions, retraites, rentes, rentes viagères à titre onéreux and Comptes à l'étranger, reprise de réductions ou de crédit d'impôt. Suivant should then take you to the page with 1AS/1AM etc. However, you should ignore that page and click on Annexe n°2047 on the LHS.

That will take you to form 2047 where you declare your pensions in Section 1 and Section 6. You need to click on Des traitements, salaires, pensions et rentes imposables en France and Des revenus imposables ouvrant droit à un crédit d'impôt égal au montant de l'impôt français. Complete those then on the next page Activer le report.

You can then go back to the beginning and add any other missing information to 2042.

I don't think there is any way of completely deleting the online data. However, if you are missing any pages you want to correct, you can always tick all the boxes on 2042 SELECTIONNEZ CI-DESSOUS LES RUBRIQUES QUE VOUS SOUHAITEZ FAIRE APPARAITRE and on 2047 Votre déclaration concerne. That will give you every tax form page and you can correct them!!

But make sure you correct 2047 first. I don't think you can correct figures on 2042 that have been transferred automatically from 2047.

Le Démerdeur
Posts: 12998
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 pm
Location: Picardie and occasionally Sussex
Has thanked: 2493 times
Been thanked: 1838 times

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by Le Démerdeur »

The doors are locked at our hôtel des impôts, face to face interviews will (wont :( ) be granted except under extreme circumstances.
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

Spardo

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by Spardo »

elsie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:45 pm
Spardo: The forms are really meant for the French and declaration by foreigners isn't really taken into account of explained separately.

As you have foreign income you need to complete 2047 first. Various figures from 2047 e.g. 8TK are then automatically copied back to 2042. I don't think you can correct figures on 2042 that have been transferred automatically from 2047.

If you log out and log into the system again it should take you back to the first page and you can then click Continuer then Suivant on the following pages until you get to the SELECTIONNEZ CI-DESSOUS LES RUBRIQUES QUE VOUS SOUHAITEZ FAIRE APPARAITRE Make sure you click on Pensions, retraites, rentes, rentes viagères à titre onéreux and Comptes à l'étranger, reprise de réductions ou de crédit d'impôt. Suivant should then take you to the page with 1AS/1AM etc. However, you should ignore that page and click on Annexe n°2047 on the LHS.

That will take you to form 2047 where you declare your pensions in Section 1 and Section 6. You need to click on Des traitements, salaires, pensions et rentes imposables en France and Des revenus imposables ouvrant droit à un crédit d'impôt égal au montant de l'impôt français. Complete those then on the next page Activer le report.

You can then go back to the beginning and add any other missing information to 2042.

I don't think there is any way of completely deleting the online data. However, if you are missing any pages you want to correct, you can always tick all the boxes on 2042 SELECTIONNEZ CI-DESSOUS LES RUBRIQUES QUE VOUS SOUHAITEZ FAIRE APPARAITRE and on 2047 Votre déclaration concerne. That will give you every tax form page and you can correct them!!

But make sure you correct 2047 first. I don't think you can correct figures on 2042 that have been transferred automatically from 2047.
Thank you again, I am going try what you have said, keeping this post of yours open on the laptop alongside and doing everything on the PC. And we'll see what happens. Interesting that you say that 2047 should always be done before 2042 because in the old paper days 2047 always lagged at least a week behind 2042 so I used to do the latter first and wait for the other.

Hal
Posts: 1462
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:38 am
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 384 times

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by Hal »

elsie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:03 am
I don't think there is any difference but I may be wrong. The calculator in the BROCHURE PRATIQUE 2020 - DÉCLARATION DES REVENUS 2019 doesn't seem to include any of those lines.
The boxes 1AL/1AM etc were only introduced for 2016 income onwards. Previously all pensions went in 1AS/1BS and the only separation of governement pensions was the Section 6 declaration on 2047.
Thanks Elsie - I think it must be the same as no one has come back to me for using 1AS. In fact I wonder how much these things are checked - when the new boxes came in, I used 1AL and thought nothing of it until the estimate came in for a pittance tax. I had to go to them to change it... :)

suein56
Posts: 6732
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:51 am
Location: Close to the sea in Morbihan
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 376 times

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by suein56 »

Spardo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Thank you again, I am going try what you have said, keeping this post of yours open on the laptop alongside and doing everything on the PC. And we'll see what happens. Interesting that you say that 2047 should always be done before 2042 because in the old paper days 2047 always lagged at least a week behind 2042 so I used to do the latter first and wait for the other.
Elsie has explained very clearly .. the thing is 2047 is the Worksheet for your foreign (ie UK) income .. so you fill that in first and, as Elsie says, the numbers from there go automatically to the main French form .. the 2042.
Your French pension should be automatically pre-filled on the appropriate box on 2042 .. but do check it as my elderly friend's form always shows the wrong pension amount so I just write in the right numbers alongside in the box for corrections.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Spardo

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by Spardo »

suein56 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 4:17 pm
Spardo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Thank you again, I am going try what you have said, keeping this post of yours open on the laptop alongside and doing everything on the PC. And we'll see what happens. Interesting that you say that 2047 should always be done before 2042 because in the old paper days 2047 always lagged at least a week behind 2042 so I used to do the latter first and wait for the other.
Elsie has explained very clearly .. the thing is 2047 is the Worksheet for your foreign (ie UK) income .. so you fill that in first and, as Elsie says, the numbers from there go automatically to the main French form .. the 2042.
Your French pension should be automatically pre-filled on the appropriate box on 2042 .. but do check it as my elderly friend's form always shows the wrong pension amount so I just write in the right numbers alongside in the box for corrections.
Yes Sue, I understood that, I was merely pointing out that, that being the case, in the paper days they always sent 2047 a week or so after 2042, which was strange if 2047 had to be done first.

And yes, I do, and did this time, check that my French pension was entered correctly in 2042, but before I could go further a panel popped up and directed me to 2047. I never got the opportunity then to enter my wife's pension in 2042 because it never got me back there again. And now I can't get back to it because it only shows a summary of all my entries, not the actual entries themselves.

But as I said, I will have another go following Elsie's advice, but I will be busy tomorrow so it may be Wednesday.

Spardo

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by Spardo »

I followed your instructions to the letter Elsie, was able to x both private and public for Fran and then put the total of hers on the first page of 2047, followed by the public amount where required and signed off at the end. Although it accepted my revised 8TK entry as a change, in fact reported it from 2047, in the final summary everything was unchanged and it still appears to me that it is lumping it all together.

I have done what I can, 2 bites at the cherry and if they want to cart me off at least I'll get fed.

I did not correct their interpretation of my French pensions, they got them both wrong (I went back and checked) but only to the tune of an extra €5, so decided to leave well alone. I can prove it but have had enough and certainly wasn't going to go through it all to do so.

Thanks again though, time will tell. :)

elsie
Posts: 1037
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:47 pm
Location: Western foothills of the Vosges
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: Impots and declaring a UK salary

Post by elsie »

Spardo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:59 pm
I followed your instructions to the letter Elsie, was able to x both private and public for Fran and then put the total of hers on the first page of 2047, followed by the public amount where required and signed off at the end. Although it accepted my revised 8TK entry as a change, in fact reported it from 2047, in the final summary everything was unchanged and it still appears to me that it is lumping it all together.

I have done what I can, 2 bites at the cherry and if they want to cart me off at least I'll get fed.

I did not correct their interpretation of my French pensions, they got them both wrong (I went back and checked) but only to the tune of an extra €5, so decided to leave well alone. I can prove it but have had enough and certainly wasn't going to go through it all to do so.

Thanks again though, time will tell. :)
It only reports back the 8TK 2047 entry. You should only have had the Government pension in the separate section on 2047 which has the total line as 8TK so it should not have been the same as the figure you'd put in previously. You need to make sure 8TK only contains the government pension.

2047 is only a worksheet for doing calculations on various foreign income. The results of those calculations are then transferred back to the main tax sheet 2042. There are no figures from section 1 which are transferred back to 2042. Unlike all the other sections on 2047 I've not found any documentation on that section and can only assume it had historical significance when, perhaps, all pensions went into 1AS?

You need to go back to the start of 2042 and change the entries to the correct lines for 1AM/1BM to contain the UK OAP and private pensions and 1BL to contain the Government pension (which should be the same figure as that in 8TK). That was the reason to go back to the start.

Post Reply