Tenant Regulations

goslow
Has thanked: 0

Tenant Regulations

Post by goslow » Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 am

One of our tenants has decided that his wife wants to start a business of minding children in our house. They have been good tenants for the past 3 years. We are however are concerned at the possibility of damage to our house with an additional 4 to 5 children living in our house 5 days a week. In addition would we be exposed to any potential legal problems.
The tenants have told us that they do not need any permission to start the business, is this true, is the sector not regulated.?

mysty

Re: Tenant Regulations

Post by mysty » Mon May 14, 2018 9:57 am

I am no legal expert on this but if someone hurt themselves,I do not see why you would not get sued this being France and you being the owner of the property. You cannot say you did not know what they were doing.
At the very least I would make sure they had proper insurance to cover you as a buffer zone.
Looking at it from another angle, if I have someone doing a job for me and he hurts himself and I did not make sure he had the proper safety equipment I am liable.
Perhaps someone else will be able to give you clearer advice.
You certainly do not want to dig yourself a hole, I might be completely wrong on this subject and you have no need to worry.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Doug

Post by Doug » Mon May 14, 2018 10:13 am

Go and talk to a notaire, its free for advice.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Mon May 14, 2018 10:40 am

"If I have someone doing a job for me and he hurts himself and I did not make sure he had the proper safety equipment I am liable"

Is this statement strictly correct? How does the average householder know what safety equipment should be used for any job that a contractor is doing?
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 am

Fitter, he’s talking about a business not a private individual.
In the parallel universe inhabited by Brexiteers rationality and logic are increasingly inverted if not outright subverted.

PatF

Post by PatF » Mon May 14, 2018 12:34 pm

I would have thought the wife should take out some kind of insurance.
But not sure - best to ask a notaire, as from Doug.
Landlord - tenant law in France is different from UK in many ways.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 pm

After the Storm wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 am
Ok- I'll rephrase my question:-

Is this statement strictly correct? How does the average landlord know what safety equipment should be used for any job that a contractor is doing?
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm

My UK tenant asked permission for the same recently. They do need landlord's permission there and I would have thought it was the same in France. The main worry with 'business use' is that it can change the nature of their tenancy and it's harder to evict them but when I looked into it, a childminding business didn't come under that sort of category of business. I gave her permission provided that she got the correct insurance, which is required when they register as child minders anyway. She had some concerns about some exterior work that should be done as it might affect safety and I got a professional in to fix the problems she highlighted - and then put the rent up, as it was way below the average rent for the house anyway and I decided if she was using it for a business then she could afford to pay a more fair rent. I also reiterated that it was up to her to restore the property to it's present condition if there was more than fair wear and tear because of her having extra children in the house.

curtis

Post by curtis » Mon May 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Also check with your own insurers.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

mysty

Post by mysty » Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Fitter wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:05 pm
After the Storm wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:04 am
Ok- I'll rephrase my question:-

Is this statement strictly correct? How does the average landlord know what safety equipment should be used for any job that a contractor is doing?
Your just meant to know, they do not accept I did not know.
Most people will not know this unless you bought a property recently and had a good Notaire. If your property has asbestos in it which many do, its perfectly safe to live in. If you get a builder in they have to sign a paper saying they have been informed of asbestos in the building. That will really make them feel safe and want the job.
If they come back in the future and claim they got asbestosis from your property you have the paper to show they knew.
So getting back to your question the landlord should know, if not they need to find out but.
I still like France and we have had a few hiccups over the years cause I should have known :lol: :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience