Carte de résident

Debra

Re: Carte de résident

Post by Debra »

No - as a third country national who is married to a French person you do need a titre de sejour and if you get it via that route you pay for it and have to take a language test (which also costs). If you get it now as an EU Citizen it's free and will be swapped for free later.

Archy

Post by Archy »

I've spent some time reading through all the posts and agree with 'fitter'. I am still wondering what will happen to those of us who choose not to go and get one of the cartes. We sold up everything in the UK and came over in 2007 as early retired and neither of us have not yet quite reached UK state retirement age. We have paid into the health system every year since we arrived, have paid all our taxes every year since, opened the comptes LDD, Livret A etc. I have a french driving licence, I changed my UK one immediately. We went (2007) to our local bureau du maire to get a TDS (because the only form of ID for the OH is her passport as she doesn't drive) who contacted the prefecture only to be told it was not necessary we did not need one. We have done everything possible to integrate into the system. However, I am still irked at having to now be told we should get this carte having tried to do so in 2007. Why should we start this process again? Are we going to be deported if we don't apply for a carte? Yes, we are slightly concerned to what may happen after Brexit but is it worth worrying about until it happens - I don't know. Sorry about the rant :!:

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Archy wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 pm
Yes, we are slightly concerned to what may happen after Brexit but is it worth worrying about until it happens - I don't know.
In my opinion, no, but that's just my opinion, others may not agree.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

Although I am going to apply for a CDS by the end of the year..I don't think there will be any dire consequences for not applying.. There will be a procedure to follow when or if brexit happens.. everyone will have to do something then.. if you already have a CDS then it may be as simple as sending it in to get it replaced, or if not it may mean collecting together a load of other bits of paper at that point and sending it off with all the other thousands who don't read forums or brexit related stuff.

My rationale for applying for it now is that at some point we are probably going to have to collect together a load of papers so I might as well start doing it now, but I'm not losing any sleep about it.
Someone who has already done it seemed to think that you could do it without endless visits.. email to the prefecture who send you the list of what you need.. you send off copies of all the documents (I think you can email them) and they then let you know when your appointment is to go and collect the card. If it really is that straightforward then there isn't any reason not to do it.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Ask yourself when is the last time you heard of or read about an Australian, American, South African, Thai, Vietnamese, pick your own nationality that was deported from France for not having the correct paperwork even if if they were not a home owner and had no income.

The closest that I can recall was an immigrant running a café where URSSAF were on his back for they believed paying family members under the table and not paying himself the minimum wage, and then it was only talk of deportation and not action.

Look how many associations sprung up at Sangatte to protect the sans papiers who did not even want to be here, how many of those were deported?
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

tohubohu

Post by tohubohu »

I really don't understand the reluctance to have a Titre de Sejour ,perhaps there is a phobia? Can someone explain why?

Expulsions from France in 2017 were 26000
https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/socie ... 74518.html
Si tu ne sais pas où tu vas, souviens-toi d'où tu viens.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

I don't think it's necessarily reluctance, but why involve yourself in a bureaucratic paper trail when it may end up being unnecessary and may not prevent a future need. That said, on balance personally I think it's worth having a go as long as it doesn't end up being a battle. As to being deported..I've never worried about that, but there are things that I currently do now that would be denied to me under third country national rules..The most important being the right to continue my work under the ME structure.

curtis

Post by curtis »

I am sure I have missed something, but I don't understand these references to "third country".
UK, France .......?
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

tohubohu wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:10 pm
I really don't understand the reluctance to have a Titre de Sejour ,perhaps there is a phobia? Can someone explain why?
And for a very long time I could not understand the insistence by some that when they had done something, even something completely voluntary and at present un-necessary like a titre de séjour that others should do the same.

I think that I can now explain it, it is perhaps the same mentality as registering a motor vehicle, it can be very difficult and frustrating for someone who does not communicate well in French, (and these days with things being dématerialisé like licenses, carte grise transfers etc just as difficult for the French), when someone has gone through something stressfull they want others to suffer equally, I am more of the "dont bother doing that, I did and it was a lot of grief and gave me no benefit" camp myself
“The good atmosphere of this forum relies on the collective responsibility of those that use it, it is not for us to have to monitor adults.”

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Or the goody-two-shoes mentality. Until it's made clear, publicly, that without a titre de séjour of some sort I am breaking the law, I don't see the point. This is not like America and the green card system. And even in the UK, for non-British European residents, it's not required at the moment, except in certain circumstances. UK residence for EU citizens
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen