Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carte de résident

Post by Nomoss » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Debra wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 pm
Nomoss wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 pm
Looking at posts on various forums by people trying to get driving licences and CGs, I hope they don't change to an on-line procedure for residence permits :(
I admit I was a bit worried when I saw ANTS had designed the new card and the system and supplied the fingerprint readers but I think they'll always want to see people in person. They may consider accepting dossiers online first though, what do you think?
Our "interview" was no more than handing over papers to be checked/approved, taking fingerprints on the rather temperamental machine, and a bit of sociable chat :)

If they come up with a clear, standardised list of required documents, and an easy way to register fingerprints, I don't think it will be long before they move to an on-line system. They could get fingerprints when the card is collected, as they are not on the card.

There was less than a year between our Prefecture's severely restricting times for driving licence and vehicle registration applications, and their going to the completely on-line system, so there would not necessarily be much warning.

Debra

Post by Debra » Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 pm

I understood the fingerprints were stored on the biometric chip and that's why you had to apply in person, so they could be taken before the card was produced? To verify ID in person too but many financial institutions do that with a photo of a passport compared to a selfie now - a right pain on my old phone that didn't have a very good camera. Of course the ID could be verified when you pick the card up if they weren't happy with doing it all online but that would mean an appointment necessary at some stage.

Nomoss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nomoss » Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Debra wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 pm
I understood the fingerprints were stored on the biometric chip and that's why you had to apply in person, so they could be taken before the card was produced? To verify ID in person too but many financial institutions do that with a photo of a passport compared to a selfie now - a right pain on my old phone that didn't have a very good camera. Of course the ID could be verified when you pick the card up if they weren't happy with doing it all online but that would mean an appointment necessary at some stage.
I have a biometric chip in my Passport, but I did everything on line and by post to get that.

We'll see. :D
These users thanked the author Nomoss for the post:
Debra (Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm)

elsie

Post by elsie » Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 pm

UK passport biometric chips do not contain fingerprint data; French passports post April 2006 do https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric ... pean_Union

French resident cards do contain fingerprint data from May 2012 according to https://www.gemalto.com/govt/customer-c ... dence-card

Debra

Post by Debra » Tue May 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Not sure they'd change it this soon after installing fingerprint readers and the new software for the new card relatively recently (ANTS did it in 2011 and not all prefectures have the readers yet) but you never know.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:27 am

Going back to should you rush out and get one...My view is that I will take my cue from past suggestions to do things before they become absolutely obligatory. Remember all the fuss about carrying a thingy in your car to check if you'd had too much to drink? Every one rushed out and got one and in the end nothing happened and you didn't need it. Not that I think we won't eventually need to do something if brexit happens and the transition period doesn't just drag on for another 10 years ...but from a personal perspective I'd prefer to see what the actual situation is. If the UK go for the crash and burn no deal then I think citizenship would be the safest option, and I'd rather put all my effort into collecting documents for that. Otherwise, I'll wait and see what options they put in place for obtaining the correct bit of paper. As I live in the department with probably more Brits than any other I would guess they'll be the first to offer a streamlined solution.
These users thanked the author lindal1000 for the post (total 2):
Kathyc (Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 am) • Le Démerdeur (Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 am)

Halfpint

Post by Halfpint » Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 am

I don't wish to scare or upset anybody
as I keep saying the EU will uphold past and present EU citizens rights
so no need for anyone to panic or worry or any other discriptive word
nobody is going to chuck anybody anywhere!

I do feel though that Brits in Europe are not near the top of the list for
the Brexit as far as rights are concerned and looking after ourselves is
the best option ie following the guidelines already given in the country
you are residing. I haven't needed the 'nanny state' for a long time and
won't be needing it over this

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am

Exactly halfpint. (ex) EU citizens earned rights will be respected without the need for a CdJ.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am

DominicBest wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am
Exactly halfpint. (ex) EU citizens earned rights will be respected without the need for a CdJ.
But "Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed" - The EU's ultimate get-out clause.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

Debra

Post by Debra » Wed May 16, 2018 10:46 am

At the end of the day it's up to you whether you take the advice from both UK and French officials to get a carte de sejour now. I don't feel it's sensible to ignore such advice in these uncertain times and it's not difficult to get one so I don't see the point in putting it off.

Just a note though - the EU permanent resident card is a useful thing to have regardless of the brexit scenario. As I've explained, I had lots of problems when I had a change of circumstances that would have been resolved much more quickly had I had one at the time. I know of other people who have had similar problems too. The EU Commission advises to have one once you become entitled to it, even though it's not obligatory. It is immediate proof that you have an unconditional right to stay here and should be treated the same as a French Citizen in all respects other than being given the right to vote.

People think 'it will never happen to me' - until it does.
These users thanked the author Debra for the post (total 2):
Halfpint (Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 pm) • misswoodentop (Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 am)