Carte de résident

Fitter

Re: Carte de résident

Post by Fitter » Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm

You think they don't know where we live?
The Maire of each commune knows.
Notaires know according to property sale records.
Les Impots know - as they need you to register UK bank accounts.
The government department that issues French driving licences knows - it's on your french licence if you've got one.
The banks know if you receive payments from the UK.
Every time your passport gets scanned.
Carte Vitale details if you've got an S1 - the UK pays medical costs.

We always get english speaking Jehovas witnesses knock at our door - how did they find out we were english the first time they called?

And probably many more sources that I've forgotten or don't know about.
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon May 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Healthcare people too. Nationality and/or town and country of birth is asked for on most French forms.

What's wrong with them knowing how many of us there are anyway? Other EU member states require people to register at the 3 months point. If France and the UK had done that historically they may now have a better idea of how many people will be affected by the current shenanigans.
These users thanked the author Debra for the post:
misswoodentop (Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 am)

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon May 14, 2018 1:35 pm

exile wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:23 pm
No nationality on my tax returns.
It has the town and country you were born in.

The attempts at figuring out how many people are going to be affected by the UK leaving the EU are like those which try to monitor inter EU migration, done by checking their country of residence and a combination of statistics based on country of birth and those based on nationality but neither really give an accurate figure because of people like my son, born in France but so far only British (though he can be declared French at age 13) and those who have dual nationality.

exile

Post by exile » Mon May 14, 2018 2:12 pm

and all of the other things that Fitter listed do not automatically mean that you are British.

S1 indicates the country that takes charge of your healthcare - usually the country where you have worked longest.
Driving licence - the country where you passed your test

and so on.

I may be a cynic but when a Government official suggests that I do something that I am not legally obliged to do, I ask myself,
What is in it for me?
and
What is in it for them?

In this case the answers are,
A document that will become invalid when Brexit is enacted
and
possibly a reduced workload for the prefectures following Brexit or possibly something more deep.

Nomoss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nomoss » Mon May 14, 2018 3:29 pm

exile wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:02 pm
..............................................However have you realised that by applying for the CdS when you don't need to you are helping the French to compile a list of Brits in France? ................

Yes, I do know that, and so what?

If the UK had done so years ago in respect of foreigners there, they might not be in the mess they are in now :D

EDIT: I have lived in quite a few different countries, and was obliged to register my presence and nationality in most of them.

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 pm

exile wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:12 pm
A document that will become invalid when Brexit is enacted
I disagree.
These users thanked the author Debra for the post:
Halfpint (Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 am)

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Mon May 14, 2018 3:50 pm

tinfoilhat.JPG
tinfoilhat.JPG (21.91 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Fitter wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm
The Maire of each commune knows. No, he doesn't, I've never met him or declared myself a member of the commune.
Notaires know according to property sale records. Living in rented accommodation.
Les Impots know - as they need you to register UK bank accounts. Haven't had a UK bank account for at least 10 years.
The government department that issues French driving licences knows - it's on your french licence if you've got one. Only my original address, you're not obliged to change it if you move.
The banks know if you receive payments from the UK. Don't receive payments from the UK.
Every time your passport gets scanned. No address on my passport.
Carte Vitale details if you've got an S1 - the UK pays medical costs. Don't have an S1.

We always get english speaking Jehovas witnesses knock at our door - how did they find out we were english the first time they called? They probably asked around, in French, where any English people lived.

It's all academic anyway, but it annoys me when people assume things that aren't true. :roll:
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Maricopa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Maricopa » Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Fitter wrote:
- it's on your french licence if you've got one.
Very, very small point of order, not any more it isn't (though your place of birth is).

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 pm

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm
Fitter wrote:
The Maire of each commune knows. No, he doesn't, I've never met him or declared myself a member of the commune. But trust me, he knows who lives in his commune
Notaires know according to property sale records. Living in rented accommodation. You had to show your passport to get a rental agreement - it's got your place of birth in it
Les Impots know - as they need you to register UK bank accounts. Haven't had a UK bank account for at least 10 years.
The government department that issues French driving licences knows - it's on your french licence if you've got one. Only my original address, you're not obliged to change it if you move. So they know!
The banks know if you receive payments from the UK. Don't receive payments from the UK.
Every time your passport gets scanned. No address on my passport. But its got your place of birth in it.
Carte Vitale details if you've got an S1 - the UK pays medical costs. Don't have an S1. Carte vitale will have place of birth in the info encoded in it - remember you had to show your passport to get one?

We always get english speaking Jehovas witnesses knock at our door - how did they find out we were english the first time they called? They probably asked around, in French, where any English people lived.

It's all academic anyway, but it annoys me when people assume things that aren't true. :roll:

It annoys me when people assume that nobody knows who they are and where they come from!

– Michael Crichton