Rental income from Ireland

south_bound
Has thanked: 0

Rental income from Ireland

Post by south_bound » Sun May 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi, does anyone declare rental income from a property in Ireland? My reading of the Ireland/France tax treaty shows a difference between that of UK/France in that all income other than dividends are exonerated from French tax. I interpret this to mean it is declared in section 8 of form 2047 and then transferred to 8TI of 2042, and not section 6 as for UK rental income. It would be great if anyone can confirm this based on first hand experience as it is the first year I have this income and want to get it riight. Thanks.

Nomoss
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rental income from Ireland

Post by Nomoss » Sun May 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Information on revenues from Ireland, on page 6 of Instructions 2047-NOT might be helpful.

south_bound

Re: Rental income from Ireland

Post by south_bound » Sun May 13, 2018 5:24 pm

No, that refers to dividends and interest deducted at source in Ireland and potentially available as a tax credit in France to offset double taxation, but thanks anyway.

Among the rest of the mumbo-jumbo, the Ireland/France treaty says:

"In the case of France:
a. Income other than that mentioned in paragraph 2 below shall be exempt from the French taxes mentioned in paragraph 3, A, of Article I of this Convention while the income is, by reason of the Convention, taxable in Ireland."

While the UK/France treaty says:

"...the resident of France shall, subject to the conditions and limits provided for in sub-paragraphs (i), (ii) and paragraph 4, be entitled to a tax credit against French tax."

I think the end result is probably the same that taxes are not paid on the Irish or UK rental income, but there are different boxes to be filled in on the 2047 form and transferred to the 2042 form.

This is probably not the forum to discuss the intricacies of double taxation treaties :? but would be great if someone has knowledge of which box to fill. I could go to the local tax office and ask but they probably won't know and likely to give me an answer that will not fill me with any confidence that it is right.