Wild Orchids

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Spardo

Wild Orchids

Post by Spardo »

Is this a wild Orchid? I thought orchids were supposed to be rare, but these are in so much abundance in the fields that I have difficulty walking between them. I see them every year and they are the most beautiful flowers

elsie

Re: Wild Orchids

Post by elsie »

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

We get lots of these, beautiful range of colours. They reseed every year so I don’t remove them from the veg beds until they’ve finished. I don’t know where they come from. They make good cut flowers in a small vase as well if you have lots of them to spare.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Veem

Post by Veem »

Spardo wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:07 pm
Is this a wild Orchid? I thought orchids were supposed to be rare, but these are in so much abundance in the fields that I have difficulty walking between them. I see them every year and they are the most beautiful flowers

It looks very much like an Early Purple. Check the leaves next time you pass - they're almost always spotty and can be the clincher.

In the UK they aren't all that common and I think it's prohibited to pick them. On the Quantocks, where I used to take children for camp at around this time of year, there was one little patch which almost never let us down. I swore the children to secrecy to protect it.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Thanks to all who replied, I see them every year in the fields though which I pass on the morning walk with the dogs. Although I have had other, isolated, orchids in the garden from time to time but, probably because these are so numerous it never occurred to me that they were orchids. It really is difficult to avoid treading on them.

I will check for spotty leaves in the morning with Tosca, Veem. ;) :)

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

Some of the Orchids I have seen
Attachments
Orchid Yellow Bee-orchid Ophrys lutea.jpg

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

We have had orchids in our front garden for ten years. I think that they are a different species to those in op. I do not think that I noticed them this year though.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

crakpot wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:56 am
Some of the Orchids I have seen]
Is that a man orchid tucked in there? I’ve never found one of those... Our favorite are the lizards...
1C252D0A-2DC4-4F3D-9F80-760561D3CC3F.jpeg

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Couldn't find any spotty leaves Veem, but then I couldn't find any leaves. it seems to be all blossoms to me. :?

Woodbine

Post by Woodbine »

Around half a mile from my UK house (in Scottish Borders) there is a valley amongst Border hills that is full of wild orchids every spring. Not out yet this year so no photo. No idea why they grow so abundantly there (and not elsewhere).. But they are beautiful and very uplifting.