Question for V12Mike

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Spardo

Question for V12Mike

Post by Spardo »

If you can hear me way down there in NZ, can you answer me this please?

A while ago you remarked in passing that most people thought that the New Posts button brought up all of them but that it wasn't so. Someone asked why is that and, as I wanted to know too, I have waited with bated breath since. Did you give an answer, but I have missed it because I always use that button, or if not, could you do so please? :)

I am at a loss to understand why a New Posts button would not necessarily bring up new posts (since last visit,I assume). :?

I have just done a little experiment with the Your Posts button, and indeed it is true, there were a couple of replies that I hadn't seen. :| So presumably I have missed several (or many) new posts that I didn't take part in ?

Spardo

Re: Question for V12Mike

Post by Spardo »

I have just conducted another little experiment. Clicking New Posts produces 1 page, clicking Unread Posts, produces 40 :o

Why? What is the point of New Posts? One of the Unread ones was an answer to a question I put several days ago but thought no-one had answered. But I click New Posts every day and sometimes several times a day.

Not any more. :roll:

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Spardo, while I have to admit I don't know how New Posts works, I do know (from a misspent youth writing SQL) that it will depend on how the script which clicking New Posts triggers has been written, and probably also on how our browsers behave.

I did a similar experiment, having read your post here, out of interest. I clicked on New Posts, but it brought up a thread on which I had been the last poster and this one, so it seems not to work in the way you and I anticipate.

As to how it does work ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same old nonsense.

curtis

Post by curtis »

It was me that asked and I haven't seen a reply.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

curtis wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:24 pm
It was me that asked and I haven't seen a reply.
So looks like we haven't fallen foul of the missed posts syndrome then, if both of us are still waiting. :)

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

If you click on Active Posts, any topic which is red on the left contains posts that you, the computer user, haven't read, and when you click on the red symbol to the left of the topic title, you'll go straight to the first of the new posts that you haven't read. This is useful when you have forgotten to subscribe to a topic you've started or are interested in, as you won't miss anything new, Active Posts is the page I go to after I've read all my Notifications.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

curtis

Post by curtis »

I assumed that each time I visit new posts I would see every topic that had received a post since I last visited. Is that not so?
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

mysty

Post by mysty »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:31 pm
If you click on Active Posts, any topic which is red on the left contains posts that you, the computer user, haven't read, and when you click on the red symbol to the left of the topic title, you'll go straight to the first of the new posts that you haven't read. This is useful when you have forgotten to subscribe to a topic you've started or are interested in, as you won't miss anything new, Active Posts is the page I go to after I've read all my Notifications.
As you say, if you click active topics you see all active threads and open what you want to read.
If there is a particular thread that's of interest you can click subscribe to see all posts that go up on that thread, you get a notification when a new post goes up.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

v12mike

Post by v12mike »

Sorry for dropping this one. I started doing some research into the question to check the facts, but got distracted. I believe the following to be correct, but some details have been glossed-over.

Describing the issue with a broad brush, The forum keeps a track of the latest post that you have loaded in each topic and the time of your last visit to each topic (which does not necessarily mean that you have scrolled down the page to read all the posts).

The "unread posts" button finds the first "unread" post in each topic. The only unexpected behaviour is that opening a topic (from the unread posts button or otherwise) marks all the existing posts on that page as being read, even if you don't scroll down and read them.

The "new posts" button finds posts that would appear in an unread posts search but which have been made since your last "session" started, and older posts get dropped off the list when you start a new session, regardless of whether you have read them, or even viewed your new posts list. This is made more confusing by the use of cookies to automatically start a new session if the old one has expired. In short, the new posts button is a lottery, it does show the newest posts that you havent read, but not all of them.

Personally, I only use the active topics search, as this does not filter the results based on whether the forum software believes that I have read a post. The topic icon colour tells me whether there has been a new post made since my last visit.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

curtis wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:16 pm
I assumed that each time I visit new posts I would see every topic that had received a post since I last visited. Is that not so?
No, apparently.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen