A place for some light-hearted chat.
Kathyc

Re: Homeless folk

Post by Kathyc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:02 am

Aardvark wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:02 am
mysty1 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:52 am
Elstow I am sure there will be 1000 s of Brits living in Francei on less than 1000 a month. When we first came here 20 something years ago we could live for next to nothing. We had no income.
Correct! Things certainly have gotten more expensive over the last 15-20 years but I am still managing on not quite a full state pension. One thing is certain. I would most likely be homeless if I was forced back to the UK.
In the UK, you'd get Pension Credit and Housing Benefit, which is why several forum members in your situation have gone back.

alittlebitfrench
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by alittlebitfrench » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am

rabbit wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:42 am
When the UK net immigration level is 300,000 and the number of new homes being built is 150,000, then multiply this by the number of years that this situation has pertained, then it is no wonder that there is a housing shortage and a high number of homeless. The governments, both conservative and labour should have taken action many years ago. Or is it because too many MPs have property and they like the idea of a shortage that causes their house values to rise?
I'm just back from a trip to the UK. I was appalled by the number of homeless, the state of the pot-holed roads and the fact that the major hospital in the city I was visiting was on Red Alert as it was having to turn away the sick through lack of capacity.

A country that boasts about being the second largest contributor to NATO (after the USA) and cannot look after its sick, or repair its roads, or hous its population has got its priorities wrong and I mean Labour as well as Conservative (IMHO).
Not to dissimilar situation in France to fair.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a housing shortage in France......and yes houses and flats are expensive. Particularly with respect to wages.

France has a massive homeless issue, but also people living in poverty. You just have to look at the houses for sale on Le bon coin (particularly in rural areas) to see the conditions that people live. I mean, just look at Misty's houses. People do actually live in these very rough conditions. They are not strictly homeless but not far from it. Do people live like that in the UK ?

We looked at a house just up the road from us where the elderly people had died/moved out and conditions were awful. There was no heating. This is in a prosperous area.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 am

A lot of people in my area live in conditions that most British people would consider primitive but they do it by choice. My old neighbour basically lived in one room of his house with a bedroom separated off by a curtain which was heated by a wood burning cuisinaire that he cooked on. He had plenty of money but was comfortable with what he had. Different standards, different expectations.

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Kathyc wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 am
Thanks, would they get all their rent paid or just a top up?

In the UK you can get SMI if you have a mortgage, although it's changing to being a loan now.
They get a percentage, depending on family size and income. I think it normally works out at around 60% of a normal rent for most people and I think it's the same amount if you have a mortgage rather than rent. I don't know the exact details though (just what I've heard and what I was told by a lad who wanted to rent my house).

In the UK you used to be able to get housing benefit to cover mortgage payments but a long time ago they changed it so that you could only get it if you were unexpectedly out of work and it was time limited. SMI I haven't heard of so I guess it's come in since I left (unless it's the renamed housing benefit part that used to be available) but I looked it up quickly and it only covers mortgage interest (as the housing benefit used to) and it says you usually need to be claiming a qualifying benefit, so I don't think it's anywhere near the equivalent of allocation logement here.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 pm

Kathyc wrote:
Debra wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 am
Kathyc wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:49 am

Depending on their situation..some get 100% of rent paid, some have to find a small amount themselves to top up. So, a single person on a low income with a rent of 400 euros a month might get an APL of 350 and have to find the other 50 themselves.

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:04 pm

My son gets allocation logement for the flat he and his friend share near their university. It's not as much as people normally get because he's still under my charge. However, as he gets a bourse he gets more than his friend who isn't eligible for a bourse. They pay 410€ each for the flat including charges and he gets 133€ allocation logement and his friend gets 98€, if I remember correctly. If he was independant he'd get a lot more than that.

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 pm

There you go - from what Linda said it's better than I thought. I got the 60% figure from the lad who wanted to rent my house but he could have been due a lower figure because he wanted to rent a two bedroomed house and he's on his own and so doesn't need that amount of space.

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 pm

The allocation logement the kids at uni get doesn't seem to be related to the actual rent they have to pay. It seems to be the same amount for a room (whether in a private house or a Crous room) and the same amount for a house or flat.

Debra

Post by Debra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:14 pm

DominicBest wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:40 am
A lot of people in my area live in conditions that most British people would consider primitive but they do it by choice. My old neighbour basically lived in one room of his house with a bedroom separated off by a curtain which was heated by a wood burning cuisinaire that he cooked on. He had plenty of money but was comfortable with what he had. Different standards, different expectations.
In my area too but it's the older generation - the youngsters expect a lot more. I've had French couples turn their noses up at my house, which does have central heating (did you really live here??) because all the walls aren't dry lined, it hasn't got underfloor heating, has single glazing (good quality so a shame to rip it out), it has wooden shutters instead of electric ones and according to a local agent if I wanted to let it I'd have to add a VMC system to that list as CAF won't pay full allocation logement if the place hasn't got all these things - and they would pursue me to get it all done!

Yet my friend just bought a couple of houses on his boundary that were lived in fairly recently by a couple in their 50s and the one they lived in sounds exactly like the one you describe, basically one big room with a curtain dividing off the bed. The other house was last lived in about twenty years ago and still has earth floors.

Kathyc

Post by Kathyc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Debra wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:00 pm
Kathyc wrote:

In the UK you can get SMI if you have a mortgage, although it's changing to being a loan now.
They get a percentage, depending on family size and income. I think it normally works out at around 60% of a normal rent for most people and I think it's the same amount if you have a mortgage rather than rent. I don't know the exact details though (just what I've heard and what I was told by a lad who wanted to rent my house).

In the UK you used to be able to get housing benefit to cover mortgage payments but a long time ago they changed it so that you could only get it if you were unexpectedly out of work and it was time limited. SMI I haven't heard of so I guess it's come in since I left (unless it's the renamed housing benefit part that used to be available) but I looked it up quickly and it only covers mortgage interest (as the housing benefit used to) and it says you usually need to be claiming a qualifying benefit, so I don't think it's anywhere near the equivalent of allocation logement here.
No, SMI's a completely different benefit from HB - you can't get it if you're working on a low income.

Thanks for the information on the French side of things.