Armageddon in London

A place to discuss politics, news and current affairs. Remember the rules and stay polite.
mysty

Armageddon in London

Post by mysty »

Within the next week to ten days they expect London to be bad with CV19 cases.
Nurses, doctors medical staff do not have the correct protection.
It's not like they did not know it was coming.
BBC question time.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Flaneur

Re: Armageddon in London

Post by Flaneur »

There was an article in the New Statesman recently which said that the last three stress-tests for a pandemic, the most recent being 2017, had identified major deficiencies in our preparedness, including if I remember correctly PPE and ventilators.
Same old nonsense.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

Every time I looked at pictures of people, crushed like sardines, on the London tube I shuddered. Either they shut down the tube and use Uber, put on more buses etc or they have to run a lot more trains. At the moment people are getting into huge Petri dishes.

It sounds stupid but one of the best news for the uk is the good weather will turn to wet and cold. This might finally stop people for going out on unnecessary trips. Apparently police are having to set up road blocks and tell people in their cars to go home and do their exercises starting from where they live.

I really do think they are going to need to use the filling out the form approach now, although personally I think it’s too late but it will still help. And a £30 fine is not much of a deterrent either.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

I rarely watch Question Time these days (too many people all talking at once) but are they really spaced out, both panel and audience? If so they must have really cut down the numbers, or it only can be viewed on an extremely wide screen tv. :roll:

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

If people continue to breech the amount goes up and eventually they will end up in magistrates court which will lead to a criminal record ( a FPN won’t) and the possibility of imprisonment
There are lots of arguments going on at the moment with people saying that they are safer driving somewhere quiet then having a walk than walking out from where they live. I think the next measure will be a definitive distance you can walk as in France

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Spardo wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:12 am
I rarely watch Question Time these days (too many people all talking at once) but are they really spaced out, both panel and audience? If so they must have really cut down the numbers, or it only can be viewed on an extremely wide screen tv. :roll:
The audience no longer exists per se .. they send in their questions and, if chosen, appear on screen from somewhere .. possibly from home.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

suein56 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am
Spardo wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:12 am
The audience no longer exists per se .. they send in their questions and, if chosen, appear on screen from somewhere .. possibly from home.
Thank you Sue, my goodness, whatever will they think of next? But what about the panel, are they all virtual as well?

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

The panel was spread out, with no audience, as Sue said.

I read that the fine was £60.

Not driving to countryside to go walking seems to be a difficult concept for some; bikers drove to Wales at the weekend, had their coffees en masse, none of that metre apart for them (actually 2 metres in the UK).

A good example of we’re only going in the countryside, we won’t meet anybody; in France, but a friend was telling me. Mushroomers, one of whom fell 5 metres and broke a leg; those needed to help were a mountain rescue team, emergency doctor, firefighters, gendarmes, a helicopter crew and an ambulance crew. Then hospital staff, of course. All because regulations didn’t apply to them, apparently. A €135 fine for non-compliance didn’t seem appropriate amount to me.

curtis

Post by curtis »

Gardengirl wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:52 am

I read that the fine was £60.

I believe it is £30 if paid with a fortnight.
Nonsense,IMHO. £60 straight away .
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

The FPN is £60 but reduced to 30 if paid within 14 days
Further reading says it is failing to pay will land you in Court rather than persistent offendering ( but the two are probably linked). Also parents will be accountable for their children and keeping their children in
I tend to agreed Curtis about the amount but a lot of penalty notices reduce if paid early