Walking is NOT exercise

A place to discuss politics, news and current affairs. Remember the rules and stay polite.
v12mike

Walking is NOT exercise

Post by v12mike »

A friend of ours in France was out walking around his town for some exercise, with an appropriate attestation, when he was stopped and given a €135 fine because running is the only allowed form of exercise (I don't think that my friend has run 2 paces in his life except when forced to at school). He will be appealing.

bluebird

Re: Walking is NOT exercise

Post by bluebird »

Sounds bonkers, but if it is happening, that in itself is enough to indicate that the real intention of the fine system is merely a money generating scheme.
Last edited by bluebird on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Getting out of bed is exercise.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

v12mike wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 pm
A friend of ours in France was out walking around his town for some exercise, with an appropriate attestation, when he was stopped and given a €135 fine because running is the only allowed form of exercise (I don't think that my friend has run 2 paces in his life except when forced to at school). He will be appealing.

Good for him .. I seem to remember (in the long distant past) that, after taking my children to school, well that's not quite right in that I accompanied them on my bike whilst they rode their own bikes to their primary school approx 1/2 to 1/3 mile from our house. The school was 'shared' between two villages, so approx equidistant from both.
Returning home I would then ditch the bike and re-run (gently) the route to school and back.
As I was already struggling with the early stages of the arthritis that I inherited from my two afflicted parents this attempt at running didn't last long as the pounding on the tarmac worked its way up my body and played havoc with my neck to say the least.
This was the 80s when 'feel the burn' proliferated .. I wouldn't be so daft now, knowing what I have learnt since then about appropriate exercise depending on how your health is.

What I have noticed, from my window on a predominantly pedestrian chemin, is that the majority of young people run or bike to exercise, whilst the majority of older people walk as their form of exercise.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

tim17

Post by tim17 »

v12mike wrote:
Walking is the best form of exercise.

Sizewell

Post by Sizewell »

Was he stopped by one of those scammers?
There is no way I could run at my age nowadays, so I take a daily walk.

Lemorvan

Post by Lemorvan »

v12mike wrote:
A most ridiculous situation. Millions of people walk to exercise and are encouraged to do so by their doctors. Why did your friend pay the fine?

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

In the new text of the Attestation de deplacement they also mention "la promenade":

Déplacements brefs, dans la limite d'une heure quotidienne et dans un rayon maximal d'un kilomètre autour du domicile, liés soit à l'activité physique individuelle des personnes, à l'exclusion de toute pratique sportive collective et de toute proximité avec d'autres personnes, soit à la promenade avec les seules personnes regroupées dans un même domicile, soit aux besoins des animaux de compagnie.

Earlier questions and answers about the exercise physique were not crystal clear, read these clarifications by the Ministère des Sports only one week ago (ancien attestation regime). Perhaps they are only responsible for real sporting activities, although: jogging and "marche rapide", do these activities qualify for next year's Olympic Games in Tokyo? Probably the competent authorities for walking are hiding somewhere in the basement of the Ministère des Transports.

exile

Post by exile »

Are you sure that he was stopped for walking and not something else? Perhaps too far from his home - and then the walking comments might just be G-style sarcasm.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Yes, I am fairly sure it would have been something else, maybe simply not in possession of an attestation.

Sorry Mike, read it again, you said he had an attestation.

I was stopped tonight while walking, albeit very fast as if I had just robbed somewhere! I was pleased to see them and knew they would stop on their way back through, I was after all the only person out.

All very good natured and respectfull, I had an old style attestation without time stamp and 2 boxes ticked, they said please dont go further than 1km and I said that I had already just gone beyond that and had another 200m to go to the Mairie, several infringements if they wanted to give out a PV but it was fine.