A place for some light-hearted chat.
Jackie

Re: Soaps in a world of their own

Post by Jackie »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 pm
Jackie wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:10 pm
The film version of ‘Contagion’ is on ITV2 tonight. A masterstroke of tv planning....
Brilliant thanks :good: reminder set, did not know it had been made into a film.

J.A.F.

You will enjoy the book especially at present, you start reading what seems like just a good fiction story, gradually you realise there is a message, towards the end you are more interested in the information (all the sources and citations are listed, they are all true) than the story.
Sorry But looks like I wrong about it being a film version of the book. Just happens to have the same name.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:00 pm
just a Frenchie wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:43 pm
"State of Fear" by Michael Crichton: that's what I'm currently reading ! (please don't tell me how it finishes... :D )
Warning: Spoiler - everybody dies! :twisted:
Who doesn’t ?

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

Getting back to the original post - soap are filmed Two to three months in advance so what you are now seeing is not a reflection on what is happening in reality - You will see this later on - Gosh I never thought I would have to point something so basic out.
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 pm
If you can find it, have a go at reading The Hot Zone.
Thanks FFS : "Virus" in French... I'll buy it :D
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Getting back to tonights film Contagion, yes it bore no resemblance to the book which was a bonus, its usually a dissapointment, but my word, how relevant was it, as if the writer had a time machine.

I really didn't think it should have been shown after a while but it did have a sort of happy ending.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

bubbles1 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:40 pm
Getting back to the original post - soap are filmed Two to three months in advance so what you are now seeing is not a reflection on what is happening in reality - You will see this later on - Gosh I never thought I would have to point something so basic out.
I think the "Now" in the original post was meant in the sense of "although", not in the sense of "finally".

Personally, I can't think of a single soap making any reference to a 'real' life situation other than the 'reality' of their own fictional world.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

Plus Belle La Vie is becoming more violent and ‘darker’ than ever. Don’t any good things happen anymore ?

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

bubbles1 wrote:
Err, you didn't need to Bubbles, from the OP:-
Now I know why this is, they make them in batches weeks and months in advance
we all already knew that. ;) :lol:

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

bubbles1 wrote:
They do manage to have Christmas at Christmas as well and don’t show it three months later

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

The only soap that leaks into our house is maybe the last minute or two of one if we have switched to watch the programme following and of course the interminable "trailers". They look hilariously ridiculous, people snarling and growling, ham acting and what sounds like another build up to some catastrophic event.

We are now expecting an asteroid, an earthquake or a volcano as they seemd to have done every other possible disaster from plane crashes to train crashes. Nuclear war? That would get rid of them.