Soaps in a world of their own

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Spardo

Soaps in a world of their own

Post by Spardo »

I don't watch or listen to any soaps (apart from The Archers, obviously) but they are often on and muted in the background and I glance from time to time to see if they have switched to something I have bookmarked.

But it is wonderful and nostalgic to watch them all kissing, hugging congregating, partying and generally without a care in the world. Apart from all their cares of course.

Now I know why this is, they make them in batches weeks and months in advance ( it took them a couple of months to kill off poor old Joe Grundy for heaven's sake :roll: ), but it is bizarre and I wonder if, when the world has settled down to boring old murder and mayhem again, will they then go through the whole sorry coronavirus lockdown catchup, or will they ignore it completely as beyond comprehension. :?:

Aardvark

Re: Soaps in a world of their own

Post by Aardvark »

Sadly a couple of soaps have leaked into chez moi but I'm usually in front of the PC not really listening. I have noticed though they they seem to include every social conflict and tragedy known to man in their far fetched storylines but not once have I heard any mention of disatisfaction with the government. :roll:
A crisis always seems to bring out the best and the worst of human nature.

Joeblck

Post by Joeblck »

I like a soap:Corrie and East enders fan....No Apology!
London Irish.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Joeblck wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:33 pm
I like a soap:Corrie and East enders fan....No Apology!
I used to watch Corro (as we have always called it), but stopped years ago when it became too much like East Enders. :lol:

Same with Emmerdale (Farm). I watched it from the very first episode when the figure of Jack appeared on a rise watching Mum, Joe and Grandad at his Dad's funeral. It was on early afternoons then and, as I was taxi driving, fitted in with my lunch hour. As with them all, it eventually palled and was discarded. :lol:

Come to think of it, I have been present at the birth of Corro and East Enders too. :roll:

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

I never watch a soap ! Why would I ?
Soaps are only good for washing your hands ... Must be true as Macron & Bojo has said it frequently... :lol:
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

‘I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls’

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I weaned myself off them with sevrage from Brrokside in the late 80's, in the days of Barry Grant & his little brother Damon who I see on some upcycling & property renovation shows these days.

I have not watched another one since nor used a VCR, not even had a means of recording for over a decade.

I had not recognised back then that it was an addiction, harmless but an addiction all the same, just had better things to do than become engrossed in fictional reality. Real life has far more inventive storylines!

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Anyone remember "Howard's Way"? 8-)
A crisis always seems to bring out the best and the worst of human nature.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

I confess to watching Les Feux de l'Amour and Amour, Gloire et Beauté when I can, partly because I try to keep up with the long-running and confusing storylines, but also because of the dubbing and the fact that you can hear every footstep a character makes on a hard surface - whether that's the same in the originals, I have no idea, but it amuses me. I think Victor Newman is a harder man than Bill Spencer.

I love it, too, when the actor who plays a role quits the series and they replace him/her with another who is only vaguely similar and everyone carries on as before as if nothing's happened.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

mysty

Post by mysty »

Spardo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:19 pm
I don't watch or listen to any soaps (apart from The Archers, obviously) but they are often on and muted in the background and I glance from time to time to see if they have switched to something I have bookmarked.

But it is wonderful and nostalgic to watch them all kissing, hugging congregating, partying and generally without a care in the world. Apart from all their cares of course.

Now I know why this is, they make them in batches weeks and months in advance ( it took them a couple of months to kill off poor old Joe Grundy for heaven's sake :roll: ), but it is bizarre and I wonder if, when the world has settled down to boring old murder and mayhem again, will they then go through the whole sorry coronavirus lockdown catchup, or will they ignore it completely as beyond comprehension. :?:
How can you glance at the Archers :o they are on the radio.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience