First swallow

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Stompie

First swallow

Post by Stompie »

Spotted this morning and just before lunch I spent an amazing five minutes watching an osprey hunting over our neighbours' ponds. Five minutes of pure magic in a very crazy world.

Loup-garou

Re: First swallow

Post by Loup-garou »

Thank you for the heads-up Stompie. I've just been out to take the perspex covers of the holes in the barn doors for them. :good:

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Stompie wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:13 pm
Spotted this morning and just before lunch I spent an amazing five minutes watching an osprey hunting over our neighbours' ponds. Five minutes of pure magic in a very crazy world.
Wow, that’s good news, cheered me up no end. You saw an osprey too - some guys have all the luck. Dry, bright and sunny here in the Vendee with a high of 10 forecast, so I reckon it’ll be a while before we see our first swallow, or swift. Which one normally arrives first?
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

I heard the cuckoo yesterday. That just leaves the Golden Oriel still to hear!

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

I like the call of the golden oriel especially when walking the dogs in the early morning in woods. It has a sort of "jungle" type call for me. I have managed to spot them/it about 3 times only.

Still no swallows or house martins here yet. Although it is clear and sunny, the wind is vicious. When they do arrive Mme. LG puts trays of mud out, front and back, to aide nest building and repair. Last year was very difficult for them.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

golden oriel - I heard their call in 2007 and 2008, but never again after that :(
I also THINK I saw one flitting from tree to tree. They fly so fast you can easily miss them.
Here the magpies pigeons and seagulls are still in charge, with a few coal tits returning.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

The oriole is incredibly hard to spot for such a bright bird. I've spotted it a couple of times. They seem to like our big poplar trees and their song makes summer come alive!

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Stompie wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:13 pm
The last time I saw an Osprey, it was catching a big fish in the Findhorn river where it enters Findhorn Bay. I was about 100 yards away, so in full view, what a sight! (This was in the early seventies, we had yards in those days!) However, this morning, walking the dogs I had an Osprey quartering over our lake and calling - had the ducks very worried - circled several times at about 10 metres but failed to spot a breakfast and set off north-east, still calling. Another to add to our Tick List. :good:
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 am
I reckon it’ll be a while before we see our first swallow, or swift. Which one normally arrives first?
The swift, of course :)
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

ajm

Post by ajm »

First swallow for us yesterday in 49
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.