Lost copy icon after Firefox refresh

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Spardo

Lost copy icon after Firefox refresh

Post by Spardo »

I should know better, if it ain't broke don't mend it, has long been a rule of mine when concerned with things I don't understand.

Firefox was working perfectly when I foolishly acceded to an offer to refresh it.

Now the copy icon at the top left corner has disappeared and, due to the tendency of Orange to send email replies into the ether without sending them it has become 2nd nature for me to copy every one I do before hitting send.

It also demanded that I sign in with Britbox because it had blocked it and I had to search for a password. Couldn't find it so had to demand another one and it was sent in an email which I could barely read because of the full page of hieroglyphic nonsense that preceded it.

Managed that now but where is my copy icon and how can I get it back? :evil:

niemeyjt

Re: Lost copy icon after Firefox refresh

Post by niemeyjt »

What do you mean? Is it the shield with a V between three horizontal dots and the star below? Save to pocket.
nff1.png
nff1.png (4.96 KiB) Viewed 210 times
I wonder if it was not part of Firefox you used, but an add-on that is disabled?

Click on the three horizontal lines (Open Menu) at top right. Then choose add-ons (with a jigsaw piece icon). See what is listed at bottom as disabled. It may be you have an old add-on that is not compatible with latest version of Firefox.

ANOther

Post by ANOther »

If you can remember which version you were on before the 'refresh' (or even if not) you can download another version and install it over the top of what you have now.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

This is safe and non destructive so you can go back or forward pretty much at will.

Do NOT uninstall Firefox first as that will destroy everything.

Note, even if downgrading Firefox regards any new install as an upgrade and will ask if you really want to upgrade but it's a false message which you can ignore and just say yes.

If you were on v57 or above extensions and addons, should continue to work it's only if you try to switch between versions 56 and 57 that you will have problems because that was the point at which the major change took place and where incompatilities kick in.

To avoid future problems use the ESR (Extended Support Release) version, this is a special version aimed at commercial and corporate users where the sort of changes regular updates introduce simply cannot be tolerated so the ESR version gets all security updates but not feature updates or changes to the interface or 'user experience' (sic)!
Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost in order to lose everything we had...

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Thank you both for your replies, though can't see why they didn't pop up when I clicked 'New Posts'.

Anyway, I have solved the problem, can't remember exactly how but I followed some advice elsewhere online.

The bits that were missing were the 'cut' 'copy' and 'paste' icons next to the 'refresh' icon top left of the screen. :)

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Now we understand, the fix you probably did was to right-click on an empty bit of the tool bar and choose customise. . .

On the next page you see, click on Edit controls and drag the icon wherever you wish (it doesn't have to be next to the refresh). Other icons can also be dragged as required/desired.

Then click Done button in lower right.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

niemeyjt wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:35 pm
Now we understand, the fix you probably did was to right-click on an empty bit of the tool bar and choose customise. . .

On the next page you see, click on Edit controls and drag the icon wherever you wish (it doesn't have to be next to the refresh). Other icons can also be dragged as required/desired.

Then click Done button in lower right.
That's it, I remember now, and it has happened before but a long time ago. And I will forget again next time it happens. :roll:

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Spardo wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:24 pm
That's it, I remember now, and it has happened before but a long time ago. And I will forget again next time it happens. :roll:
You won't if you use the cut and paste to make a copy of my last post! :-)

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

niemeyjt wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:48 pm
Spardo wrote:
Unless I forget where I've put it. :lol:

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Spardo wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:18 pm
niemeyjt wrote:
Spardo wrote:
Or you could use the Bookmark option on this forum: viewtopic.php?t=5363
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:58 pm
Spardo wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:18 pm
niemeyjt wrote:

Or you could use the Bookmark option on this forum: viewtopic.php?t=5363
Never thought of that before, thanks, I can see it will be useful. :D