Problem scanning.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
After the Storm

Problem scanning.

Post by After the Storm »

The pc will print connected to a canon mg 3600 printer/scanner but when I try to scan windows says there’s no scanner connected which it obviously is as I’ve just printed. Any suggestions? I’ve switched off, unplugged and re plugged etc but no luck.

Flaneur

Re: Problem scanning.

Post by Flaneur »

You could try explicitly adding it, using Devices (which is in Windows Settings)
Same old nonsense.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

In the past I've had a bit of chew with Canon scanners (never used a printer/scanner).

To be honest, I usually just mess on and eventually it works out :) which is no help I know :roll:

Have you (don't want to appear to be teaching you to suck eggs) downloaded the scanner utility https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index? ... ge=content - I suppose you must have to get the message you did
Same old nonsense.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Also how is it connected to pc usb or WiFi?

exile

Post by exile »

Had a similar problem with a Canon printer (different model). I tried clearing and reloading the drivers - zilch. I had to resort to scanning to a memory stick through the USB port but even that gave up the ghost just before it refused to print.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Thanks for all the replies. I should have given more info, it had been working okay via WiFi then a couple of weeks ago, it decided to only work via the usb cable which is what I was using this morning. As I said, the thing printed okay and but when trying to scan, the pc just says scanner undetected. Is it an issue with windows or canon? I did try using the canon menu too and that wouldn’t start scanning going in that way either.

exile

Post by exile »

It almost sounds as if yours is going through the same staged gradual shut down that mine did. It wouldn't be just a few months out of guarantee like mine was, would it?

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

ATS try turning of the power at the socket and wait 10 secs before reconnecting. This will generate a cold start. If that doesn’t fix it then
1 How are you invoking the scan?
2 does the printer have a scan button?
3 does copying work ok?
4 apart from switching to USB have you made any changes to Windows since last successful scan,?
Which version of Windows are you using
Do you know how to see devices in the control panel. If not get back to me and I will explain ( note I have a Canon printer/scanner)
Last edited by rabbit on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Does it show up in Other devices (which is in Devices) when connected by USB? If not, I'd uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Check on the Canon website that they have drivers for your device. Then (again, apologies if you know this already) go to Settings and then Apps within that. Select all the Canon stuff individually and delete it one by one (assuming you have only this Canon device).

Restart your laptop.

Then head over to the Canon website and download and install the drivers.
Same old nonsense.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

After the Storm wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:31 pm
Is it an issue with windows or canon?
Almost certainly Windows. I use a couple of Canon Scanners and they just work every time . . . with Linux - albeit via USB - not tried wireless. One won't work on a Windows system without reinstalling drivers each time, the other is normally OK.

So I suggest download the latest Canon drivers, deinstall and reinstall - as Flaneur has just said

And while you are poking around, put a delay on Windows updates - they are due tonight and look like being even worse than normal.