iOS question.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Tom

iOS question.

Post by Tom »

I have an old iPad which is running iOS 10.3.3 and that is the latest version it will accept. However, I would like to download Twitter and that needs iOS 11.0 or later.

There are a number of workarounds suggested on the internet but I'm always nervous of installing third party solutions. Has anyone found a safe answer to this problem?

It was announced today that Apple have been fined for deliberately slowing down their old iPhones. Is this a general policy of that company to persuade people to buy new products and is that why my iPad won't accept any further updates?
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

Flaneur

Re: iOS question.

Post by Flaneur »

Tom wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:46 pm
It was announced today that Apple have been fined for deliberately slowing down their old iPhones. Is this a general policy of that company to persuade people to buy new products and is that why my iPad won't accept any further updates?
Surely not, Tom!

As for your question, I have an old iPad which may be even older than yours :D I've just tried to fire it up but forgotten the password so I may be some time ...

However, I usually access Twitter from a browser. Have you tried that? I appreciate it's not quite what you want.
Same old nonsense.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

Once upon a time the OH was in love with her iPhone 5 until the infamous iOS 10 update crippled it because of the well known battery issue. She decided to visit one of the palaces of the community of Apple believers, smiling priests, clean shaven, polite? It's your problem, you are using old stuff and your battery was aleady near the end of it's useful life. You can't be serious, immediately after my update from iOS 9 to iOS 10 it left me with only two hours "on" time, the day before it served me all day!! Your fault, not ours, we don't make mistakes, how dare you.

Havng said that: iOS 11 needs 64-Bit-Hardware for many of it's applications to run. End of the game for the iPhone 5, the iPhone 5c and the iPad 4. Because of their A6- or A6X-Chip in 32-Bit-technology. End of the game also for many older 32-Bit apps.

As from the introduction of iOS 11 in 2017 only iPhones from 5s, the iPad Air and iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, new 5th generation iPad and the 6th generation iPod are worth to be member of the new Apple iOS familiy. And everything newer of course.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Time for a bit of deviation

‘ well known battery issue. ‘

Was it to no with not being able to simply replace a battery ?

And, what is likely to not installing I-Pad updates? Is it possible to uninstall them?

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

@ Nifty, I should have said: a well known operating system issue. Even after closing almost all (background) applications, the battery drain didn't stop. So on day 15 the OH said: I'm going to uninstall this new iOS version. Only to discover that this is only possible during the first 14 days after the "upgrade". Nice service for a very expensive piece of electronics. Finally a new battery: not two hours, but a whopping three hours battery autonomy! Once again: operating system issue, let's ask the Royal Navy to use Cupertino in California (HQ Apple) and not too far from the Pacific as a shooting range.