Are they trying to tell me something?

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Polarengineer

Are they trying to tell me something?

Post by Polarengineer »

I recently managed to free an owl from being trapped in a garden netting, it was early morning and the poor thing was seriously worn out after hanging by its talon upside down for assummingly some hours. Having cut it free, I let it sleep in the greenhouse away from the nearby 7 cats and in the evening was pleased to see it wide awake and raring to go, so I sent it on its way. A word of warning if you ever get near an Owl. Their talons are not just very powerful, they have needle sharp claws, so wear leather gloves. I was grateful to see it look me in the eye as if astonished I wasn't about to kill it. I had a really good feeling having done something helpful that day.
Another moment was when a magpie decided to be friends, or was it that I had just picked up the duck egg he had his eye on.
Wild stuff getting friendly. What's their message?
Attachments
Where's my egg
Where's my egg
Looking worn out
Looking worn out
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

Ally

Re: Are they trying to tell me something?

Post by Ally »

Well done. I'm jealous.

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest »

I think they can sense your kindly nature and if they've hung around your garden for some time, they will have come to know you and know you will do them no harm.

Here is a condor who seems to look back at his rescuers to say 'thank you' before he flies off:

https://www.thedodo.com/in-the-wild/reh ... s-rescuers
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Polarengineer wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:56 am
A word of warning if you ever get near an Owl. Their talons are not just very powerful, they have needle sharp claws, so wear leather gloves.

Another moment was when a magpie decided to be friends, or was it that I had just picked up the duck egg he had his eye on.
Great pictures and stories! I reckon the more intelligent a beast is, the more likely it will interact with a calm human, albeit to retrieve "its" duck egg :D
Same old nonsense.

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

Well done ! :good:
I remember my father when I was a child: he used to be friendly with robins which landed on his hand for getting seeds and pieces of meat.
One day, as an adult, I saved a female blackbird that had fallen from the nest and fed her. I took her on vacation in my camper van. She slept near me and pulled the sheets in the morning to claim her bath and breakfast ...
Your owl was lucky that you saved him! Especially since, in the French countryside, there remains a superstition: people thought that the owls brought bad luck, killed them and nailed them to the door of the barn !!! :oops:
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D