Outlook/Microsoft.

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
rabbit

Re: Outlook/Microsoft.

Post by rabbit »

Spardo KeePass uses a very secure encryption methodology. Frankly it is not worth a hacker’s time and effort to try to decrypt as there are any number of softer and more rewarding targets out there

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

rabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:06 pm
Spardo KeePass uses a very secure encryption methodology. Frankly it is not worth a hacker’s time and effort to try to decrypt as there are any number of softer and more rewarding targets out there
Anymore than it is worth his time or effort to break into Pat's house and search for all her bits of paper, or into mine and search for the (right) hard drive, and then guess the password in order to get into the passwords. :lol: :lol:

Of course, by that time, totally knackered, imagine his chagrin when he finds out how much I've got in the bank. :lol:

And he still can't get at it because I've got the mobile which receives the passcode. :lol:

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Absolutely - it uses a deliberately slow encryption routine to make it harder to crack.

But I repeat, passwords can get compromised in two places - your end and the destination - so look at aforementioned haveIbeenpawned.

As far as cracking KeePass, one of the faster password crackers can test KeePass store at a rate of 1116.9 kH/s - so just over a million a second.

By way of comparison, it can go through 13149.5 MH/s Windows NTLM2 passwords - about 13 billion.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Well I haven't been pwned, such a relief.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:54 pm
I have, twice, it seems.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Spardo wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:05 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:54 pm
I have, twice, it seems.
Merde alors!
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

misswoodentop

Post by misswoodentop »

PatF wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:49 pm
I might get round to the clever way on hard drives, Keepass etc. But in the meanwhile I'll depend on the fact that my recording system is so chaotic that (I hope) any wouldbe crook would give up.
A bit like this:

But seriously, I should get my husband to set something up for me.
Nothing quite like the goons for laugh-out-loud buffoonery - thank you for posting that.
Even though you've heard it before, and can quote practically the whole thing, you still laugh out loud
- brilliant comedy. :lol:

PS: I've got various 'user account' names, passwords and associated fictitious dob's noted down on my iphone, so I can change them when demanded. Far too many to remember, even though a few of them are what I call my 'generic' password, or variations thereof.
I tried to access the ANTS website today - up came my email address, so I thought that was my 'user name', but it wasn't. Two emails later, and I finally got access - I have no memory of even setting up an ANTS account, but there it was! Another gem to add to my iphone list.
On a tangent from this - has anyone tried to access a website on an iphone, only to be asked to 'send an sms with this code to this number'. If you are currently using your phone to access the website, how are you supposed to go to another screen to send anything to anyone - is there a way of going to another screen without exiting what you are in already? Easy enough on a laptop, or maybe even an ipad, but an iphone?

misswoodentop

Post by misswoodentop »

Flaneur wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:51 pm
Spardo, i ahree: there's always a risk whatever you do. I've minimised mine to what I consider an acceptable level by enabling 2FA. And I wouldn't use LP for my bank or anything financial.

In fact, I use 2FA wherever possible.

For me, the choice was a relatively uncrackable password manager, or using the same password everywhere and keeping a note of them somewhere.
I think 2FA is the 2-stage password thing, which most financial services use now, but what is 'LP'?

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Sorry, LP is LastPass.

The way it works for me with, eg, email is that
1. I log in to LastPass with my password (it's easy to remember, but long and therefore more difficult to crack. You might use something like Listenwithmothermisswoodentop.)
2. I open an app on my phone (Google Authenticator) and this gives me a 6-digit code to use to verify it's me
That's me into LastPass

Then I navigate to my mail provider and LastPass inserts my email address and password
and I then open Google Authenticator again and it gives me another 6-digit code to insert. (These codes last for 30 seconds or so.)

In order to gain access to my email, therefore, you would have to hack LastPass and also have my phone.
Same old nonsense.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I have always kept a written record of my passwords, etc. because unless the house burns down, it will always be accessible. Any password management on the PC is vulnerable to hard drive or other related failures and if that happens any separate backup media will be useless unless you have another PC to hand. For convenience I use Lastpass to remember forum sites but never use any password managers for bank or Paypal accounts. Those two I have memorised. I don't have to key in the Lastpass master password at any point.
I only keep a mobile these days to receive the damned codes that are increasingly needed to complete a login. I wouldn't dream of doing any banking or online purchasing from something so crude as a smartphone.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: