Reduced Tax d'Habitation?

Jeff66

Reduced Tax d'Habitation?

Post by Jeff66 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi to all.

What do I need to do in order to benefit from the forthcoming reduction in the above tax?

I'm getting conflicting info from expats, the local Mairie and the French themselves.

Thanks for any help.

Simonflys
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reduced Tax d'Habitation?

Post by Simonflys » Fri May 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Nothing - it's an automatic process based on your revenue / RFR.
These users thanked the author Simonflys for the post:
Debra (Mon May 07, 2018 5:36 pm)

elsie

Post by elsie » Fri May 04, 2018 1:29 pm

You need to be resident in France and submitting a tax return. It is only for primary residences (so not for second homes).

There is a calculator on the tax site so you can estimate what your reduction will be (it does not include the TV licence). If you pay monthly you can opt to lower your monthly payment to reflect the lower tax d'habitation.
These users thanked the author elsie for the post:
Debra (Mon May 07, 2018 5:36 pm)

Nomoss

Post by Nomoss » Fri May 04, 2018 4:15 pm

They did make a mistake a few years ago, and charged TdH when we were exempt, but an email to our impôts centre sorted it out.

Also, after age 70 (or is it 75?) you are exempt from the TV levy if you meet the income requirements, and at 75(?) exempt from Taxes Foncières, although the charge for ordures ménagères is still payable.

The details and the income bands are shown on the inside of the appropriate demands, or can be found on th gov't website.

Jeff66

Post by Jeff66 » Fri May 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Ah...so because I'm not resident except for about 6 months, don't pay income tax, or earn anything in France, and it's a maison secondaire, I won't benefit?

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Yep you got it Jeff.

Mike

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys » Fri May 04, 2018 5:49 pm

Jeff66 wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:00 pm
Ah...so because I'm not resident except for about 6 months, don't pay income tax, or earn anything in France, and it's a maison secondaire, I won't benefit?
Correct. The TdH reduction initiative is to ease taxation on French residents.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 pm

I would not be so sure about that, Jeff 66 did not say that he does not submit a French tax return although its a reasonable enough assumption, if he does then he may well benefit.

I know how they judge a residence secondaire (the French dont say maison secondaire) to a French contribuable but a foreigner owning one sole property in France with the TDH bill going to that address may well benefit subject to making a tax declaration and their RFR.

You could argue that my place is a residence secondaire (who decides which one in which country is if they even know about the other?) but I will definitely be getting the exemption, I have already reduced the amount i am paying in anticipation of it.

Simonflys

Post by Simonflys » Fri May 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Chancer wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 pm
I would not be so sure about that....
You don't have to be - I am.
These users thanked the author Simonflys for the post:
mysty (Mon May 07, 2018 5:53 pm)

jardiniere

Post by jardiniere » Sat May 05, 2018 11:46 am

Nomoss,
Also, after age 70 (or is it 75?) you are exempt from the TV levy if you meet the income requirements, and at 75(?) exempt from Taxes Foncières, although the charge for ordures ménagères is still payable.
Are you sure about being exempt from Taxes Fonciéres after 75? Please confirm. Thank you.