Barclaycard

A place to discuss politics, news and current affairs. Remember the rules and stay polite.
DominicBest

Barclaycard

Post by DominicBest » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:28 am

I had to phone Barclaycard the other day because my card had expired and I hadn’t received a new one. It turned out that although I’d carried out all my Barclaycard re-payments etc through my Barclays App for several years the card isn’t registered to my French address like my Barclays account is; it’s registered to an old U.K. address still in the family. (the card hadn’t arrived there either) They told me that they would send a replacement card. When I asked which address they would send it to they said the UK one. I then asked if I could have it sent to my French address. I was told that, yes I could change my address to France but... (and it’s a big but) if I did I would receive a letter within the next five weeks telling me that my Barclaycard account was being closed as they were changing the terms and conditions to not allow Barclaycards to be registered overseas except to addresses in the IoM, Channel Islands, Falklands, Gibraltar or, bizarrely, Australia. Has anyone got a Barclaycard registered to their French address and if so have they heard that their account will be cancelled? I really only have mine in case I want to hire a car at a UK airport and I have a feeling that the car hire companies would be likely to have rejected a card that was not registered to my address anyway.

tim17
Has thanked: 0

Re: Barclaycard

Post by tim17 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:32 am

I think this is a fairly recent change in their terms and conditions -

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/sav ... -shut.html

Hereford
Has thanked: 0

Post by Hereford » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:02 am

Our Barclaycard is registered to a French address and we have heard nothing. In fact, having just looked at it, the dates shown are:
start: 07/19, end 08/22

We would prefer to keep it as it is used in the UK when we are there or for purchases in pounds (in one case a magazine sub) done from France.

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:06 am

DominicBest wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:28 am
I had to phone Barclaycard the other day because my card had expired and I hadn’t received a new one. It turned out that although I’d carried out all my Barclaycard re-payments etc through my Barclays App for several years the card isn’t registered to my French address like my Barclays account is; it’s registered to an old U.K. address still in the family. (the card hadn’t arrived there either) They told me that they would send a replacement card. When I asked which address they would send it to they said the UK one. I then asked if I could have it sent to my French address. I was told that, yes I could change my address to France but... (and it’s a big but) if I did I would receive a letter within the next five weeks telling me that my Barclaycard account was being closed as they were changing the terms and conditions to not allow Barclaycards to be registered overseas except to addresses in the IoM, Channel Islands, Falklands, Gibraltar or, bizarrely, Australia. Has anyone got a Barclaycard registered to their French address and if so have they heard that their account will be cancelled? I really only have mine in case I want to hire a car at a UK airport and I have a feeling that the car hire companies would be likely to have rejected a card that was not registered to my address anyway.
How often did you use it?

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:08 am

That has no relevance to what I was told but I use it regularly mainly for buying car parts and things from Amazon.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:10 am

tim17 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:32 am

Thanks Tim. It’s interesting that that says that residents in France and Spain will be able to keep their cards, perhaps things have moved on since my conversation a couple of weeks ago.

suein56

Post by suein56 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:11 am

tim17 wrote:

It does say on the link that Tim posted that France is on their list of serviced countries so perhaps the guy on the phone got it wrong ?

Edit : Glad you saw that Dominic.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:16 am

suein56 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:11 am
tim17 wrote:

It does say on the link that Tim posted that France is on their list of serviced countries so perhaps the guy on the phone got it wrong ?

Edit : Glad you saw that Dominic.
I don’t think he got it wrong because we discussed it and he read out the list. As it is my (new) card is still registered in the UK but I’m not planning to use it unless I can change it to my French address. That’s really why I posted this, to find out if anyone had heard anything yet. It’s possible that they have actually worked out how much business they actually do through France and Spain based cardholders.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 am

tim17 wrote:

Not that recent. Check the date of the article in the link.
R.I.P. UK

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 am
tim17 wrote:

Not that recent. Check the date of the article in the link.
Well spotted. That makes my information more up to date.