Grues - but it’s so early

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Headers

Grues - but it’s so early

Post by Headers »

3 flights of grue have flown over this afternoon. Way too early!

mysty

Re: Grues - but it’s so early

Post by mysty »

I think everything is messed up just now, we have Butterfly bushes not their proper name but they have new leaves on them already, that's way too early.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Ally

Post by Ally »

Headers wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:56 pm
3 flights of grue have flown over this afternoon. Way too early!
Not at all. I've often observed them before lunchtime.

Ally

Post by Ally »

They've well and truly arrived now. Within an hour I saw no less than 15 large groups over Beaulieu in 36. There must have been over 3000 birds. That followed a large group yesterday and one the day before.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

In the Gers they used to start returning last month.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

Sitting outside on the terrasse again this afternoon in the beautiful sunshine I heard the unmistakable sound of the grues.

Then I saw them over the valley in front of me, but something was different, all of a sudden the whole formation stopped and started to circle. Then some of them appeared to tighten the circle and pass back through the main bunch. I thought there would be collisions and fetched the binoculars, in fact there were 2 formations, one above the other but both circling in a confused sort of manner. Then I saw 2 lone birds at the same altitude as the lower flight appear to detach and then try to catch up. But they didn't, they flew straight past then turned and did the same again. Were they the grue equivalent of sheepdogs trying to get everyone into order and set off in the right direction? If so they weren't successful .

This went on for some time, 5 to 10 minutes at least and I wondered when I saw that there was not a lot of wing movement, perhaps they were riding thermals as a sort of rest on the long journey. Gradually the 2 formations drifted directly over head so that I was getting a crick in my neck and wondered for an instant if I might get shat upon. :o

Very soon they all managed to get back into a traditional V and head north again over the trees.

Has anybody seen this before and is it the thermals they are using? One reason it might be is the fact that once they were over me on the hill and away from the valley perhaps the thermals disappeared or were weakened enough to be of no use. :?

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

I have seen them stop and circle over a larger town and have always assumed they were using the thermals to regain height.