More computer problems

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Joinfrance

More computer problems

Post by Joinfrance »

Morning all.
I have used Linux for more years than I can remember. I recently bought a new laptop. It's an HP something or other. It wasn't cheap. It was set up for Linux and apparently the microsoft package that was on it has been removed. Recently it has become more and more difficult to use. It takes an age - sometimes over 30 minutes - to log on. I cannot use wifi, I have to use broadband, and changing between sites is a nightmare.
The person who did the installation is no longer around, nearly all the computer shops round here don't really have any Linux experts, and I don't have a lot of confidence in the only other person who does know something.
What I think needs to be done is to wipe it clean and re-instal Linux then, preferably Mint, (which I am informed by Debra is a better system)
At present it has Ubuntu. So far I have only used it for emails and looking up stuff, so I wouldn't lose anything important.
HOWEVER. I am incapable of doing this by myself. I just get panicky when I try.
What I think I need is either someone who feels confident to do it or someone who can hand-hold, talk me through it.
There's not a lot of point using an online tutorial, though I would be prepared to try it if someone could recommend one that is in English not gobbledegook.
I'm writing this in sheer frustration.
Even if I get a response I won't be able to sit down for a couple of hours until saturday. It's a bit the story of my life at the moment. Too much to do, too little time!
(I STILL don't have my tax forms. Less than 2 weeks to fill them in..) Is this a sign that it's time I left?

rabbit

Re: More computer problems

Post by rabbit »

Joinfrance very sorry I have 40 years of IT experience but I don't know enough about Linux to be able to help. Linux is fine for embedded systems (like my video/hifi receiver) and for techies, but I think you are demonstrating all the reasons why someone without sufficient expertise should stay clear. It might be better than Windows or IOS, it might be cheaper but being an opensource product it doesn't have the support coverage and numbers of experts. I can see you are a fan but without support I would bite the bullet and switch to either of the mainstream systems. If I were you I would backup my data, wipe the hard drive and install Windows 10. You could probably do it in a day. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Installing LInux Mint, especially if you are happy to have your hard disk deleted is easy. The installation has clear instructions at every step. However, it would be useful if you had access to another computer in case you forgot or need to check something.

But you need to do a lot of preparation. You need to download Linux Mint and put it on a USB key or a CD/DVD to do the install. The separate documentation on Mint installation descibes clearly the way you do that. So you need to download the documentation and to copy the installation files to the USB/CD/DVD. There are instructions on how to do that from a Linux installation in the documentation. The installation file as https://linuxmint.com/download.php and documentation https://linuxmint.com/documentation/use ... h_18.0.pdf As you already know, the installation will give you not only a computer with an operating system but various standard programs as well (LibreOffice,Firefox, Thunderbird, GIMP, etc.)

If you can, do a backup of your current documents, etc.

You will also need all the information you need to access your network, as well as your e-mail, etc. their web addresses and passwords.

So download, read, and hopefully understand the PDF documentation first. Especially important if you don't have access to another computer.

Look at this page as well. Although it describes moving from Windows to Mint the process is very similar https://www.zdnet.com/article/dumping-w ... 0-minutes/

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

Thanks elsie. I’m up to my armpits at the mo, but will have a good look at it all over the weekend. The idea of windows with all I’ve heard fills me with dread, so that’s a none starter. I’m too old to learn new tricks.... FWIW I was ‘the’ computer expert at one time, but stuff has changed so much since I started (1967) and I just haven’t kept up...

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

Would you believe it! This morning I opened up the laptop and, instead of clicking where I usually do I opened a new tab. Magic! Everything is back to normal. Up to speed, functioning. (I still don’t have WiFi but I will deal with that later.) can’t believe it was so simple. Just a glitch in the system somewhere, break the cycle and problem solved....

Doug

Post by Doug »

I changed over to linux ubuntu many years ago and its been great, thing is it has to be installed properly by following all instructions .
Did mine with a dvd from linux france, what i like is the different sections on hard drive so that programs are seperate from folders so its very easy to install a newer version as and when needed.
Certainly would never go back to Gatesey.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Joinfrance wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:55 am
Would you believe it! This morning I opened up the laptop and, instead of clicking where I usually do I opened a new tab. Magic! Everything is back to normal. Up to speed, functioning. (I still don’t have WiFi but I will deal with that later.) can’t believe it was so simple. Just a glitch in the system somewhere, break the cycle and problem solved....
I assume you meant a browser tab?
I'm not sure which browser you are using but you it is always sensible to clear out your browsing data/search/history on a regular (weekly) basis. You will find it somewhere in the browser settings - see also this guide https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clear-cache-2617980

Doug

Post by Doug »

Have just this afternoon installed a new up to date ubuntu from a dvd ordered on line from a linux centre.
Took a couple of hours to set it all up after reformating the root section, only problem is that the
Address book and favourites saved on a seperate hd are not recognised? So will have to re,enter them from a printed version from toh pc, what a bummer as everything else works ok.

george

Post by george »

Ended up with Linux at one stage as somebody installed it on an old machine of mine, used it a bit even though I had never had previous experience. I thought that the guy had uninstalled windows but what he had actually done was installed Linux on top of windows so interestingly I ended up with Linux and windows on the same machine. Windows worked perfectly alongside Linux which was quite interesting I thought. I suppose techies know that kind of stuff but it was a major revelation to me. When you booted the machine, you got a choice between Windows or Linux. You had to choose one or the other from the start screen as you could not mix programs from both.
E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One

elsie

Post by elsie »

Being able to install Linux alongside Windows is one of the standard options in the Linux Mint installation process and you get a dual boot PC. It creates an additional partition for the Linux operating system and programs. You can access all your Windows data as well.