Most fasinating wildlife creature you found in France

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
just a Frenchie

Re: Most fasinating wildlife creature you found in France

Post by just a Frenchie »

Joinfrance wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:47 pm
Loires. I'd never seen one before coming to the Corrèze . Dont know if I've spelt it right...
Loirs (no 'e'), like this guy in my garage last year :
SDC14813.gif
SDC14815.gif
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Joinfrance wrote:
Loires. I'd never seen one before coming to the Corrèze . Dont know if I've spelt it right...
Used to be called a Glis Glis when we got here, now Loire Gris. The common name is edible (or fat) dormouse. Exquisitely beautiful creatures, like a miniature squirrel but not a creature you want around the house - they just love to eat wiring!
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

We later found out that our animal visitor was a member of the mole family. And the cause of much disruption in our 'lawn' !

just a Frenchie

Biggles wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:42 pm
Joinfrance wrote:
Used to be called a Glis Glis when we got here, now Loire Gris. The common name is edible (or fat) dormouse. Exquisitely beautiful creatures, like a miniature squirrel but not a creature you want around the house - they just love to eat wiring!
The main problem with them is the fact that they store fresh fruits over your ceilings for not having to shop during winter.
The fruits go rotten and a lot of juices go through the plasterboard: nice red and violet spots of blackberries and raspberries juices : Yum !
(not mentioning the noise when they make the bed)
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Another problem we had was that one of them chewed through the waste water pipe in our upstairs bathroom.
Slowly the water leaked down and damaged the ceiling of the salon.
Not too bad though, all got repaired.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

Another glow worm fan here!
Also coypu (I know, most people want rid of them but they fascinate me!) and I really love the big green lizards.

just a Frenchie

Stompie wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:31 pm
Another glow worm fan here!
Also coypu (I know, most people want rid of them but they fascinate me!) and I really love the big green lizards.
In Vendée and Charente Maritime, they hunt coypu (Ragondin) to make the local specialty : the 'pâté de ragondin' :
pâté de ragondin.png

Ally

Post by Ally »

I only saw my first living ragondin about a year ago but I've seen a couple of dozen since. I like them...at a distance. I saw a whopper a couple weeks ago. I've got a saddle in the barn that would have about fitted it.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

The evil little buggers ate all my waterlilies - I hate 'em!
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

I too have had the good fortune to have seen all the above beasties and had the honour to have been bitten by the dormouse, the little bugger. To add to the list, I was confronted by an otter in our river in our second year of residence and discovered our 92 year old neighbour (a trout fisherman all his life) had never seen one on the river, only where it had been. In our first year, I nearly stepped on an adder, but he/she left the scene as we became more noisy and I took on some chickens.
The most odd animal I have seen and heard was a scops owl. It sounds like the time signal on the radio. https://www.owlpages.com/owls/species.php?s=510.
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)