Cartridgeless Printer

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Aardvark

Re: Cartridgeless Printer

Post by Aardvark »

A bit steep for an inkjet printer but in the long term it will be a winner. My problem was that unless I used it regularly the print heads would dry up so every time I went to use it there would be wasted ink doing a self clean. When it finally died I dumped the inkjet idea and went for a laser printer. Never dries up between sessions.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

I also gave up with inkjets:
- if you don't use it frequently, the ink goes dry and you waste a lot with pressure cleaning... And waste of time when in a rush.
- once on the paper, the ink doesn't stand humidity
- the overall running cost is important even if the cartridges look cheap

Lasers are more affordable now: https://www.darty.com/nav/achat/informa ... cteristics
(I didn't look in details and didn't investigate : just an example with built-in scanner)
- the ink keeps for ages
- cartridges look expensive but you can do 1000 pages and you change only the empty color
- when cooked, the ink tolerates humidity
- the only drawback: the transfer cylinder which is the weak point, difficult to change and costs almost the price of a printer (planned obsolescence.)

I have a old Dell laser : it does the job as I print less than 1 page a week but I wouldn't recommend this trade for printers (too complicated)
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

Noisette wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:40 pm
Just a heads-up for anyone peed off with buying ink cartridges! Leclerc are advertising an Epson Eco-tank ET2710, refillable printer for €160. I can vouch for the ET 2750...despite using it a lot, two years on, the tanks are still half-full and the re-fill bottles supplied with it not touched yet. Wonderful bit of kit!
Thanks for taking the time to post, I always look at the UK WHICH reviews when purchasing most items but with printers it is a bit more tricky as we leave our UK and French printers for long time periods and inkjets dry up. :good:
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

A.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

If the price of a laser is out of reach and you go for an inkjet I can heartily recommend Brother products. Unlike HP, Canon, Epson, and others, they don't refuse to play if you feed them with "compatible" cartridges. They just get on with the job. Before I learned my lesson I binned more than one of the competition rather than pay stupid money for branded OEM cartridges.

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:42 am
If the price of a laser is out of reach and you go for an inkjet I can heartily recommend Brother products. Unlike HP, Canon, Epson, and others, they don't refuse to play if you feed them with "compatible" cartridges. They just get on with the job. Before I learned my lesson I binned more than one of the competition rather than pay stupid money for branded OEM cartridges.
Have to take issue with you there re compatible cartridges for a Canon printer. I regularly get cheap and cheerful compatible cartridges for our Canon MG5650 from Action and they work a treat.
I first came across a laser printer about 20 years ago and then they were very expensive and couldn't print in colour. Noisette - is the one you mention a colour pritnter?
Syd.
Last edited by CRAZY DIAMOND on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I am pleased to hear of your success with Canon accepting compatible cartridges. Canon have been fighting class action lawsuits in the states for years over this issue. The latest, settled in 2015 involved dozens of models.
Last edited by Aardvark on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

If the price of a laser is out of reach and you go for an inkjet I can heartily recommend Brother products.
:D My 5 years old inkjet Brother is brilliant. Holds the A4 paper below so it doesn't get dusty. Prints dependably and economically. Doesn't waste ink cleaning jets and accepts compatible cartridges.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

Tom wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 pm
If the price of a laser is out of reach and you go for an inkjet I can heartily recommend Brother products.
:D My 5 years old inkjet Brother is brilliant. Holds the A4 paper below so it doesn't get dusty. Prints dependably and economically. Doesn't waste ink cleaning jets and accepts compatible cartridges.
As does my 8 year old HP 5610. Been using compatible cartridges since the originals supplied with the printer ran out. Mine are ordered online with a UK supplier and delivered from Switzerland. Unfortunately, the supply of "empties" seems to be drying up ( :roll: ) so refills are becoming intermittent.