Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by vic evans » Sun May 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Nomoss wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:01 am
vic evans wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:20 pm
................... If you're saying that my paying shed loads of taxes of varying kinds over the last 15 years, with all the papework to prove it, doesn't qualify me as a goody two shoes I'm blowed if I know what I've got to do to join the club. :? .........................
That sounds remarkably similar to what a bunch of West Indians and others were saying recently. Some after, or on the point of, being deported.

Fortunately they managed to get the media and eventually the public on their side after a few years................
Yes but that was in the UK
Surely it wouldn't happen in the land of Liberty, equality & fraternity. :roll:

Andy72

Post by Andy72 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:03 pm

pomme homme wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:21 pm
As a discussion, this thread now seems to be going nowhere! There are two positions, neither of which can be said to be 'right' or 'wrong'. No-one has produced authoritative evidence to establish one or the other case. Perhaps it's best for the two camps to agree to disagree and leave people to do what they want to do - not because that is 'right' or 'wrong' but simply because it's their choice.
Personally I am only interested in sharing information and receiving information from and with anyone who wants to get a Carte Sejour before Brexit day or has already got one. For those who do not see the need then the thread is probably of no interest anyway.
Don’t walk away in silence.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun May 06, 2018 3:19 pm

I dont think that anyone in the "dont see the need camp" posted anything telling others to not do so but there were several in the "must get a TDS" camp telling people that they should, if people had been left to do what they want to do then there probably would not have been the responses.

Some exhibit their anxieties by wanting others to do as them, some dont like being told what to do when the choice is theirs.

Andy, what you said about recieving information sounded very closed minded, thats not the sort of person I believe you are.

Andy72

Post by Andy72 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Chancer, in the context of this thread that is what I am interested in. I am not really bothered if other people do not see the point of getting a Carte de Sejour, that is their choice. If you are referring to Brexit then I will continue to stand for what I believe in and make the case where and whenever I can but again people are free to make their own choices and live with the results of that choice, as am I.
These users thanked the author Andy72 for the post:
Le Démerdeur (Sun May 06, 2018 4:09 pm)

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sun May 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Andy.

No I wasn't referring to Brexit.

Agree with what you say.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sun May 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Of course people are free to make up their own minds about applying for a CdS, nobody has said otherwise. However the position remains the same a CdS UE gives the holder no more rights now than any other EU citizen resident in France. After March 29th 2019 no British Citizen will also be a UK citizen unless they have dual nationality so th3 card means nothing from that day on. What I object to is posters who insist that a CdS is a must have item, it is not.

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Sun May 06, 2018 4:19 pm

I suspect the only way to resolve this issue would be to 'get the word from the horse's mouth' - by which I mean the French Government. But I'm inclined to suspect that no such definitive statement would be given by it at this time. Until the brexit deal is done, I doubt that any government - including that of France - would be willing to commit itself, one way or the other. But if people think that I'm wrong, do please point me to the evidence - as I'm as keen as the next man and woman to know where I will stand post brexit.

Simonflys
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Simonflys » Sun May 06, 2018 5:35 pm

From the 'Forum Rules':

The idea is to keep the forum enjoyable for everyone to use so any help in achieving this is appreciated.

Seems a pretty agressive discussion to me, whereas it could have been helpful..... :? #turnedoff

(ps - can someone correct the heading on this discussion?)

Andy72

Post by Andy72 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:41 pm

pomme homme wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:19 pm
I suspect the only way to resolve this issue would be to 'get the word from the horse's mouth' - by which I mean the French Government. But I'm inclined to suspect that no such definitive statement would be given by it at this time. Until the brexit deal is done, I doubt that any government - including that of France - would be willing to commit itself, one way or the other. But if people think that I'm wrong, do please point me to the evidence - as I'm as keen as the next man and woman to know where I will stand post brexit.
PH

Any disagreements here over whether it is worth doing or not are worthwhile. I am the sort of person who plans for the worst but hopes for the best. That is just who I am. I suspect I am not alone. Equally there are others who prefer to sort out problems when they occur. All I know is that it is reported, I can find no definitive link to a French Government statement, that the Ministry of the Interior has, following discussions with expat groups and with UK officials, decided to recommend that Brits apply for a CDS permanent if they qualify as soon as possible. Of course this might well be due to them not wanting a flood of applications after Brexit day but equally from my POV it is about not being caught up in that or in any uncertainty or ambiguity over our rights as citizens of what will then be a third country. My approach is that if there is nothing to lose other than a few hours at the prefecture then I might as well do it now as it seems I will probably have to at some point.

mysty

Post by mysty » Sun May 06, 2018 7:16 pm

I can well understand why people are applying for them and why others have sold up or trying to sell up and go back.
We are entering an era where no one knows what will happen, I have found this thread interesting.
Neither of us have applied for CS, I do not see a problem getting one if its needed.
Unlike you Andy I leave everything to the last minute and live in hope that brexit will collapse.
These users thanked the author mysty for the post (total 4):
Kathyc (Sun May 06, 2018 7:39 pm) • Le Démerdeur (Sun May 06, 2018 8:11 pm) • Gardengirl (Sun May 06, 2018 9:11 pm) • Dylan (Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 am)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience