Carte Séjour

DominicBest

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by DominicBest » Sun May 06, 2018 7:41 am

It’s not difficult to me. Jump through the hoops now or jump through the hoops later. Your choice. Your second paragraph says it all. The point is to get your little card you have to produce the paperwork anyway.

Nomoss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nomoss » Sun May 06, 2018 10:01 am

vic evans wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:20 pm
................... If you're saying that my paying shed loads of taxes of varying kinds over the last 15 years, with all the papework to prove it, doesn't qualify me as a goody two shoes I'm blowed if I know what I've got to do to join the club. :? .........................
That sounds remarkably similar to what a bunch of West Indians and others were saying recently. Some after, or on the point of, being deported.

Fortunately they managed to get the media and eventually the public on their side after a few years................

Nomoss

Post by Nomoss » Sun May 06, 2018 10:30 am

Furthermore, I was once a citizen, not just a resident, of Australia. I lived, worked, was on the electoral roll from day one, voted, married, had children, banked my money there, etc. for five years, it was our home. But I took a job in the Middle East for 2 years.

When I wanted to return I was told I and my wife, but not children born there, needed visas. I did apply for them, but it was a year before the application, not the visas, were approved. We would have had to reapply for the visas, but we had not relied on getting them and had made other plans by then.

I was then refused entry to the UK, where I had lived since age 2, because my passport showed I was born, of English parents, in a colony, where my father was serving in the armed forces. Even though I had paid my taxes, etc. etc., and also served in the forces. It was very demeaning, but I managed to get my UK passport back.

You people who say it will never happen to you make me laugh.

Our decision on Australia was influenced by knowing what happened to a British neighbour, a diver, living in the UK, who planned to migrate there from the UK with his wife and three kids. His visa application was approved, so he sold his house, etc., and everything was ready for the big move. Only medicals for everyone in the family were required, and they were all young and in good health.

He phoned us up in tears one day to tell us he had been refused a visa on medical grounds, because as a diver using helium, it was suspected he might have bone marrow disease.

Andy72

Post by Andy72 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:37 am

Has anyone tried to make an appointment through the online process recently? We tried yesterday to get an appointment in Angouleme but the system just came back with no appointments available. I am going to try again tomorrow as I have read that they release new times and dates for appointments each week for 3 months forward.
Don’t walk away in silence.

Nomoss

Post by Nomoss » Sun May 06, 2018 10:43 am

Andy72 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:37 am
Has anyone tried to make an appointment through the online process recently? We tried yesterday to get an appointment in Angouleme but the system just came back with no appointments available. I am going to try again tomorrow as I have read that they release new times and dates for appointments each week for 3 months forward.
Our appointment, made on June 19th. last year, was on September 25th.

We were asked for our nationality before the appointment date was given.

Fitter

Post by Fitter » Sun May 06, 2018 10:55 am

Andy72 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:37 am
We started our application before the outbreak of the Brexit disease using the prefecture system. It took us a load of hassle, phone calls, visits to the prefecture, sitting around for hours in the waiting room before being turned away, misleading information over the telephone on how to get an appointment etc before we got to do the interview. Having actually achieved getting an appointment, the rest was easy!

So I wish you the best of luck!
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

Andy72

Post by Andy72 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:00 am

Nomoss,

Thanks. I am guessing that as of yesterday all appointments for the next 3 months had been taken up and that as of tomorrow another block of appointments will be released for sometime in August or more likely September.

I see no reason not to apply for a CDS, nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.

Fitter

You were quick out of the blocks and as such may have suffered as a result of Prefectures not being familiar with EU citizens applying for something they do not think we need. I hear that the French Gov have now contacted prefectures clarifying the situation with Brits and the potential issues following Brexit. Hopefully that should make the process a bit more streamlined now! My view is better to do it now than get caught up in something after Brexit.
Don’t walk away in silence.

Nomoss

Post by Nomoss » Sun May 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Another aspect of the Carte de Séjour, for pensioners. It may be useful to prove to the UK authorities that you are fully resident here on Brexit day, so that they continue your S1 cover.

The continuation of the S1 scheme has been agreed between the EU and the UK after Brexit, both for those who currently hold an S1 form and those whose competent state will be the UK once they qualify for a state pension in the future. Note that to be covered by this, you will need to be already fully resident in France on the 'effective date' - which will almost certainly be Brexit day.

Source: http://www.remaininfrance.org/health-care.html - Fourth paragraph under "UK state pensioners".

Halfpint

Post by Halfpint » Sun May 06, 2018 12:58 pm

"If there is no agreement and the UK exits with no deal, these cards still have value. They are easy proof of your rights. The EU ethos is that if you have exercised treaty rights you should not lose them. There is a legal precedent in the ECHR that residence rights cannot be removed because a country left a union of countries. "

Thank you Debra , just what I was trying to say but got shouted down
I haven't actually read anything official on this matter , it just seemed common
sense to me

Some are 'missing the point' and it isn't me
These users thanked the author Halfpint for the post (total 2):
Fitter (Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 pm) • Debra (Mon May 07, 2018 1:58 am)

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Sun May 06, 2018 1:21 pm

As a discussion, this thread now seems to be going nowhere! There are two positions, neither of which can be said to be 'right' or 'wrong'. No-one has produced authoritative evidence to establish one or the other case. Perhaps it's best for the two camps to agree to disagree and leave people to do what they want to do - not because that is 'right' or 'wrong' but simply because it's their choice.
These users thanked the author pomme homme for the post:
Kathyc (Sun May 06, 2018 1:48 pm)