Carte Séjour

DominicBest

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by DominicBest » Sat May 05, 2018 5:01 pm

But halfpint you’re missing the point. Chancer and I have exactly the right paperwork.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat May 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Some of you are dreaming up and preparing for worse case scenarios whereas others are just getting on with their lives.

I dont believe that anything will change for me so wont waste any headspace on the subject, dont care if I am wrong, if I have to jump through a hoop later then I will do so, i am not going to search out hoops to jump through.

Editted, agreed Dominic.
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post (total 2):
Kathyc (Sat May 05, 2018 5:25 pm) • FrenchForumSurvivor (Wed May 09, 2018 6:16 pm)

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat May 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Humouring others and allowing myself to think of the scenario where I will have to get a carte de séjour, if that were to happen I reckon the procedure will become streamlined, they appear to be under seige at the moment and wont want more of the same.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat May 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Just a little heads up on what might happen. Mrs May has had to do a lot of back tracking re setting the date that European nationals can claim to be resident in the UK to have rights after Brexit. She has had to do that to reach an agreement with the EU. She wanted to set a date before March 29th 2019, then it changed to the Brexit day itself and currently it will be when any transition period ends. U.K. citizens who are resident in France, own property, complete tax returns, hold a CV and pay into the health system are not going to be kicked out because they don’t have an unnecessary CdS. There is a lot of scaremongering going on by people who have taken the individual personal decision to apply for an irrelevant document and are now feeling smug although there is actually no basis for that smugness.
These users thanked the author DominicBest for the post (total 4):
Le Démerdeur (Sat May 05, 2018 5:17 pm) • Kathyc (Sat May 05, 2018 5:25 pm) • exile (Sat May 05, 2018 11:11 pm) • FrenchForumSurvivor (Wed May 09, 2018 6:17 pm)

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vic evans » Sat May 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Halfpint wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Now those of us :D with the Carte will be 'easily' able to change it for the new
one or whatever they decide as we are already identifiable 'RESIDENTS' and
have already proved what goody two shoes we are

simple
If you're saying that my paying shed loads of taxes of varying kinds over the last 15 years, with all the papework to prove it, doesn't qualify me as a goody two shoes I'm blowed if I know what I've got to do to join the club. :?
Good luck to them who've got a CdS but please don't turn this into a Brexit type division with the haves & have nots. As with the Brexit fiasco only time will tell who made the right call but as far as I can see there's a lot of this opera to run before the Fat Lady finally sings.

Halfpint

Post by Halfpint » Sat May 05, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm only giving my opinion of what may happen

Non EU citizens ie the rest of the world and soon to be Brits as well
have to apply for a carte de sejour to reside here
so when Brits become non EU logic says that is what they will have to do

I am 'light heartedly suggesting ' that if you are already in possession of a
carte de sejour life will be easier

and 2 camps we are already in, those with and those without no matter
how much tax you've paid or how often you have been told you don't need
a Carte previously

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 pm

You obviously didn’t understand my previous post then.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat May 05, 2018 10:36 pm

DominicBest wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:13 pm
There is a lot of scaremongering going on by people who have taken the individual personal decision to apply for an irrelevant document
Individual personal decision can feel like going out on a limb to those who prefer safety in numbers especially when suffering anxiety, we're all in this together, the more people we can encourage to be in the same boat as us the better we (hope we) will feel......
These users thanked the author Le Démerdeur for the post:
Halfpint (Sun May 06, 2018 12:55 pm)

Debra

Post by Debra » Sun May 06, 2018 4:16 am

There are a few bits of misinformation on this thread.

As EU Citizens we automatically attain the right to permanent residence, with no further conditions, after five years of legal residence. We don't have to have a titre de sejour but we are entitled to one if we ask for one. It's worth getting because if you ever need to prove your rights it's a lot easier to produce a little card than a pile of paperwork.

To get one we have to prove continuous legal residence (exercising treaty rights) for a five year qualifying period and continuity of residence since that period. If you qualify in your latest five years then it's easier to just prove that. If you don't you can go back to the five year period you did qualify and then only need to prove continuity of residence since.

Current income or income after the qualifying period is not relevant - only the historical income for those five years and even then, only if you are inactive. An active person (working or running a business) is exercising treaty rights just by working and there are no further conditions. An inactive person is exercising treaty rights as a self sufficient person and therefore has to prove they had enough income to be self sufficient. Under age 65 this is the RSA level of income for your family composition. Over age 65 it is the ASPA amount.

The card proves you have permanent residence rights with no further conditions - not even that you continue to be an EU Citizen. It will not be invalid after brexit. The draft withdrawal agreement says that it will be swapped free of charge with only a criminality check done as an extra, for any new card that may be required in future.

The British Embassy and the French Ministy of the Interieur are recommending that we apply for cards now. The latter has said that people who hold permanent residence cards will be their priority after the UK has left the EU, regardless of whether the withdrawal agreement goes ahead.

Even a temporary card, the one issued in your first five years here, proves that you were already legally resident before the cut off date and so have rights. Under the withdrawal agreement, you will be entitled to build up the required years to get the permanent card.

If there is no agreement and the UK exits with no deal, these cards still have value. They are easy proof of your rights. The EU ethos is that if you have exercised treaty rights you should not lose them. There is a legal precedent in the ECHR that residence rights cannot be removed because a country left a union of countries. So even if we end up in France's hands with no EU level deal for us, they won't deny existing residence rights as going to the ECHR would be costly and there is no point because the precedent is already there.

Under EU law as an EU Citizen you can prove your residence rights by any other means, so you don't need a card. If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, we won't be EU Citizens anymore and so 'any other means' may no longer apply. We also may have to pay, as other third country nationals do, to get a card, assuming we meet the third country national rules, which are more strict than the EU Citizen rules. Under those rules we may not get a permanent card and may have ongoing income requirements long past the 5 year point as well as have to pass a language test at level A2. Easier to have the card we are entitled to now, which proves a right which can't be retrospectively removed from us as per the ECHR precedent.

I find it difficult to understand why anybody doesn't see the point in getting a titre de sejour at this stage. It's free except for your time and the cost of copying documentary proof of your stay. Beat the rush and get one now. Make sure you apply for the EU type, temporary or permanent.
These users thanked the author Debra for the post (total 3):
Fitter (Sun May 06, 2018 10:03 am) • Andy72 (Sun May 06, 2018 10:51 am) • Squinch (Wed May 09, 2018 12:04 am)

Debra

Post by Debra » Sun May 06, 2018 4:23 am

The two main cards:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F16003

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F22116

Dependant family members (not exercising treaty rights themselves) apply for the family members versions:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F19315

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F22117

Minors do not need a titre de sejour but can have a TIR if born here or a DCEM if not, in case they leave the country, to prove their residence rights upon their return:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... roits/F297

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... oits/F2718