Carte Séjour

Post Reply
Zak
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Cher 18
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Carte Séjour

Post by Zak » Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Have lived permanently in France for 10+ years now and we are considering applying for the Carte Séjour "Citoyen UE/EEE/Suisse"- Séjour permanent.
Has anyone done this and can advise on the language proficiency test. I am 71 and my wife 64. Wife should be fine but I am a bit "iffy" and would need a crash course if not discussing brico items or basic items.

pomme homme
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:45 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by pomme homme » Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Assuming that you have British nationality, when the UK leaves the EU presumably you will no longer be a 'Citoyen UE/EEE/Suisse' and, if so, presumably your Carte de Séjour will cease to be valid. Or have I missed something very obvious that would make it pointless to pursue the alternative of applying for French Citizenship?

Archy
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:07 pm
Location: 53
Has thanked: 287 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by Archy » Wed May 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Zak, have a read of this it may be of help

https://www.french-property.com/news/fr ... te_sejour/

Those aged at least 65 years old are exempt, as are those who hold a mainstream French educational qualification.

Strictly speaking, also exempt from the test those seeking the visa «résident de longue durée - UE» who are of EU nationality, but we hear of many instances where a test has been imposed.

However, some prefectures are clearly processing the incorrect visa for EU nationals. As Debra Archer of the RIFT citizens’ rights campaign group in France points out: “EU nationals should make sure they apply for the 'Carte de Séjour "Citoyen UE/EEE/Suisse - Séjour Permanent', so as to avoid the language test. It is the correct residence card for EU nationals after 5 years of lawful residence."
These users thanked the author Archy for the post (total 2):
Zak (Wed May 02, 2018 3:10 pm) • Debra (Mon May 07, 2018 2:50 am)

User avatar
Fitter
Posts: 1786
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:17 pm
Location: Brittany 56
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by Fitter » Wed May 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Zak wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 pm
Have lived permanently in France for 10+ years now and we are considering applying for the Carte Séjour "Citoyen UE/EEE/Suisse"- Séjour permanent.
Has anyone done this and can advise on the language proficiency test. I am 71 and my wife 64. Wife should be fine but I am a bit "iffy" and would need a crash course if not discussing brico items or basic items.
There wasn't a language test when we did ours - just an interview with loads of copying of every bit of paperwork you have ever possessed.

But Hey! Who knows what rules your prefecture has invented since the Brexit brouhaha? :shock:
Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

– Michael Crichton

cj1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:07 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by cj1 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:13 pm

pomme homme wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 pm
Assuming that you have British nationality, when the UK leaves the EU presumably you will no longer be a 'Citoyen UE/EEE/Suisse' and, if so, presumably your Carte de Séjour will cease to be valid. Or have I missed something very obvious that would make it pointless to pursue the alternative of applying for French Citizenship?
That's my understanding too. We're just waiting to see what happens as I can't imagine we'll be thrown out.

Nomoss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by Nomoss » Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm

We received ours in October 2017 after a short interview in September, which was simply to check the documents we supplied. No language test as such, but we obviously had to converse. We made the appointment for the interview in July by email to the Prefecture.

I think it was worth getting the CDS now, as it may save time proving residence/entitlement after Brexit, even if a new document is required, as there are likely to be a lot more people applying then.

vic evans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by vic evans » Wed May 02, 2018 6:25 pm

cj1 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:13 pm
pomme homme wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 pm
Assuming that you have British nationality, when the UK leaves the EU presumably you will no longer be a 'Citoyen UE/EEE/Suisse' and, if so, presumably your Carte de Séjour will cease to be valid. Or have I missed something very obvious that would make it pointless to pursue the alternative of applying for French Citizenship?
That's my understanding too. We're just waiting to see what happens as I can't imagine we'll be thrown out.
Likewise :good:
If this Brexit nonsense ever happens I'll take my chance with the other 100,000 plus in the same boat as me.
If the unthinkable happens & I'm chucked out of France, rather than shaking hands with the 100,000 plus French folk passing in the opposite direction I'll go on the lam. 8-)
These users thanked the author vic evans for the post (total 2):
Kathyc (Wed May 02, 2018 6:58 pm) • cj1 (Thu May 03, 2018 12:02 pm)

Nomoss
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by Nomoss » Wed May 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Nomoss wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm
We received ours in October 2017 after a short interview in September, which was simply to check the documents we supplied. No language test as such, but we obviously had to converse. We made the appointment for the interview in July by email to the Prefecture.

I think it was worth getting the CDS now, as it may save time proving residence/entitlement after Brexit, even if a new document is required, as there are likely to be a lot more people applying then.
For a similar reason we applied for and received our French driving licences some years ago, over a year before our 69th birthdays, and avoided the later changes in the system, and the current fiasco caused by ANTS :D

Kathyc
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:26 pm
Has thanked: 563 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by Kathyc » Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Nomoss wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm
We received ours in October 2017 after a short interview in September, which was simply to check the documents we supplied. No language test as such, but we obviously had to converse. We made the appointment for the interview in July by email to the Prefecture.

I think it was worth getting the CDS now, as it may save time proving residence/entitlement after Brexit, even if a new document is required, as there are likely to be a lot more people applying then.
I suppose it depends whether you think there'll be some kind of deadline for applications needing to be done in a hurry - I can't see it myself.

pomme homme
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:45 pm
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 141 times

Re: Carte Séjour

Post by pomme homme » Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 pm

cj1 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:13 pm
pomme homme wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:16 pm
Assuming that you have British nationality, when the UK leaves the EU presumably you will no longer be a 'Citoyen UE/EEE/Suisse' and, if so, presumably your Carte de Séjour will cease to be valid. Or have I missed something very obvious that would make it pointless to pursue the alternative of applying for French Citizenship?
That's my understanding too. We're just waiting to see what happens as I can't imagine we'll be thrown out.
But is a Carte de Séjour going to protect you in these circumstances? If not, what purpose does it serve and what benefit will it confer when the UK leaves the EU?

Post Reply