Avast anti virus

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
rabbit

Avast anti virus

Post by rabbit »

If you use the free Avast antivirus software you might want to know that they have been passing your personal information to their data subsidiary which has been selling on this information to many buyers.This includes the searches you have made and the sites you have visited and other info. Despicable behaviour from a security company

mysty

Re: Avast anti virus

Post by mysty »

All these type of companies will sell your details, they are not giving you products and services for free.
When you login here you should be getting pop ups for zimmer frames and walking sticks. :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

rabbit wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:01 pm
If you use the free Avast antivirus software you might want to know that they have been passing your personal information to their data subsidiary which has been selling on this information to many buyers.This includes the searches you have made and the sites you have visited and other info. Despicable behaviour from a security company
I always wonder if it is not the companies that sell anti-virus that spread some virus on the web ... When I made radars, others in the factory at the same time, made detectors and jammers of radars ...
I have had several anti-virus programs in the past. I haven't had any for a few years. I have read that Windows 10 has sufficient built-in defenses.
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

v12mike

Post by v12mike »

You might be interested in this update https://www.cnet.com/news/antivirus-com ... y-scandal/ which states that Avast has shut down the operation that was harvesting data. They also state that no personal information was sold, and nothing breached the European GDPR.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

v12mike wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:20 am
You might be interested in this update https://www.cnet.com/news/antivirus-com ... y-scandal/ which states that Avast has shut down the operation that was harvesting data. They also state that no personal information was sold, and nothing breached the European GDPR.
Cnet? The most infamous source of unwanted crap bundled into its "free" downloads. I would advise avoiding Cnet and anything it says.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

just a Frenchie wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:25 am
rabbit wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:01 pm
I have had several anti-virus programs in the past. I haven't had any for a few years. I have read that Windows 10 has sufficient built-in defenses.
Windows 10? If you sleep with dogs you wake up with fleas. Microsoft is the biggest single invader of privacy known to mankind. Windows 10 is an efficient eavesdropping tool and its findings are available to the highest bidder.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Aardvark wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 pm
Windows 10? If you sleep with dogs you wake up with fleas. Microsoft is the biggest single invader of privacy known to mankind. Windows 10 is an efficient eavesdropping tool and its findings are available to the highest bidder.
Hmmm - not sure I agree - Google has to be there or thereabouts.

But second I could accept.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I'll concede that point. More people use Google than use Windows 10. :good:
People even use Google on their phones so your exact location is added to the data.