May you board a boar ? The answer is no...

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
just a Frenchie

May you board a boar ? The answer is no...

Post by just a Frenchie »

This couple in Corrèze took in an injured baby boar and cared for it.
Mauritius, now an adult, is threatened because we are not allowed to adopt wild animals !
https://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-franc ... e-20200123
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Doug

Re: May you board a boar ? The answer is no...

Post by Doug »

Quite right to.

mysty

Post by mysty »

We have wild cats.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

As a younger man I was involved with wild oats.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just a Frenchie

Apparently, this law is about any wild animal...
I've lost count of how many wounded baby birds I rescued in my life...: should I be put behind bars ?
I particularly recall a female black bird I took with me when camping. She was living free in my camper van and never went far away from it. She used to come back on call and wake me up, pulling the sheet of my bed, claiming for her breakfast.
She had no clue about the wildlife and it finished badly one day when I could hear a 'scrouic': she wanted a bath in the river closeby and had been eaten by a rat or something... :shock:
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

I would think that, from a disease control standpoint alone, having wild animals that can harbour diseases that can destroy domestic livestock is a bad idea.

just a Frenchie

niemeyjt wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:06 pm
I would think that, from a disease control standpoint alone, having wild animals that can harbour diseases that can destroy domestic livestock is a bad idea.
I understand your fears, but, if we push this reasoning to its limit, should we:
- stop walking your dog in the forest?
- ban all international travel and flights?
- close our borders to any migrant animal or human?
- stop importing fruit from Morocco or Spain?
- stop migrating birds?
In the particular case of the baby boar Maurice, any vet could have treated him if necessary!

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

We found a baby boar, marcassin, in our chicken run one morning. Very cute and friendly.
Not knowing what to do rang farmer neighbour who is the fount of all knowledge about that kind of thing. He took it home, fed it, and kept it 'for the pot'. But he said not to breathe a word because it was illegal. The correct thing to do is to call the chasse and they will shoot it :shock:
So what is worse, shooting a young boar, or killing it to eat after it matures?
He also told us that the chasse had killed a mother sanglier the previous day who had many babies which had scattered around the commune.
ps re your link, justafrenchie.I don't know enough about pigs in general, but I'm prepared to believe that even a sanglier can become domesticated and non-violent. I once had a friend, in the UK , whose family farmed pigs. She said they can become very gentle and attached to humans as they're relatively intelligent animals..

just a Frenchie

PatF wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:28 pm

ps re your link, justafrenchie.I don't know enough about pigs in general, but I'm prepared to believe that even a sanglier can become domesticated and non-violent. I once had a friend, in the UK , whose family farmed pigs. She said they can become very gentle and attached to humans as they're relatively intelligent animals..
From a few experiences I had, I strongly believe that any wild animal can become a pet if taken out of it's parents and congeners when very young and it's education hasn't started yet. You become it's parents and it will behave the way you want as long as you provide the right food and love. And, most importantly, you are patient ! But you have to get prepared to the size when adult ! I had a pet dwarf pig, a white rat, several baby birds fallen from the nest and I remember my father with a few robins on his shoulder when I was young !
When I say 'any', don't ask me about worms or cockroaches ! :lol:

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

That's interesting about birds J a F. I love robins, wish we had a tame one.
The wife of this same neighbour rescued a baby crow. She kept it in a cage and hand-fed it. She was friendly with the wife of our farmer neighbour on the other side who did the same thing with a baby crow. But when she let it out from its cage it was a fierce defender of their farm. I was walking up to visit them and this crow flew across, very angry, and attacked our collie. I decided to avoid the visit :)
Both of these ladies eventually let the crows free. She also had 2 beautiful white doves which someone had given her as a present. They weren't aggressive.
Maybe it's only certain birds.