Microwaves how old is yours

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Microwaves how old is yours

Post by mysty »

We bought a cheap one on holiday over 25 years ago for well under 100 it's been well used and gone from house to house where we work. It's still going strong.
We bought an expensive one about 2002, it imploded about eight years ago.
How about you.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Ally

Re: Microwaves how old is yours

Post by Ally »

I imploded around the same time.

exile

Post by exile »

Ours died at the end of the summer. Only lasted 31 years. I was tempted to take it back to the shop and complain but it would have been a long way to drive, and I had lost the receipt. It's replacement lasted 5 weeks. That did go back and after 5 weeks they gave up trying to repair it because they lacked a spare part. This was a machine with a guaranteed on spares for 5 years! * Full refund obtained at the suggestion of Boulanger - definitely not typical French customer service.

* Another Electrolux/Whirlpool pile of cr@p

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

My parents bought a Microwave from the Ideal Home Exhibition at the NEC in 1978, it was more like one that was sold to fish and chip shops for heating pies in a matter of seconds, it is still in use today ! :good:

Probably costs a fortune in electricity to use !
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

I’ve got two. The one I use regularly was bought for a caravan in the late 1980s, it works fine. The other is 7 or 8 years older than that but still works although these days it only takes up space in an outbuilding. The older one cost over £200 in the early 80s, modern ones are better value.

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

I bought one in the 90s which cost £25 in tescos i think. I had it for abput 23 years. It gave up the ghost and i couldnt find one to replace it at a price i could afford so i abandonned the idea. Im currently in a flat in Malaga with no oven but a microwave so may investigate making something if i get fed up...

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

@ Dominicbest: late eighties? Timeline, 1987: Compaq ships MS-DOS 3.31 with support for hard disk partitions over 32 MB. Imagine a microwave invented by Microsoft: do you have a driver to keep my microwave working under Windows 10?

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

RobertArthur wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:22 pm
@ Dominicbest: late eighties? Timeline, 1987: Compaq ships MS-DOS 3.31 with support for hard disk partitions over 32 MB. Imagine a microwave invented by Microsoft: do you have a driver to keep my microwave working under Windows 10?
I was thinking about what I paid for my early laptops yesterday when I was window shopping for a new one in FNAC yesterday.
The old microwave has a wonderful function for warming up drinks, it has one button that warms the cooled down tea or coffee to perfect drinkable temperature and another that makes them a tiny bit hotter. I can remember the first thing we put in it, a Tesco’s croissant; I didn’t believe that it would warm it as quickly as it claimed so I added a bit of time, the croissant caught fire!

jsks

Post by jsks »

Bought in 2012 to replace a 10 year old one that, literally, burst into flames one day. Luckily it was on an open worktop so after dousing the flames (by switching off and covering with a wet towel) we were left with scorch marks on the wall that were covered by a couple of coats of paint.

Now got a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

DominicBest wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:40 pm
[I can remember the first thing we put in it, a Tesco’s croissant; I didn’t believe that it would warm it as quickly as it claimed so I added a bit of time, the croissant caught fire!
My mum came to live with us in 1982 and a short while later was introduced to her first microwave .. I did say that I thought heating up a mincepie would only take 20 secs but even I wasn't quite ready for the minor explosion when we tried it .. there was mince meat and pastry bits everywhere inside. Mum was astonished, I was incoherent with laughter.
Fortunately the only casualty was the mince pie.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically