Making mistakes typing stuff up.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Doug

Re: Making mistakes typing stuff up.

Post by Doug »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 am
You are not alone ATS, I can type a post, check spelling, punctuation and then preview it and post.

Then I see it on the forum and the punctuation is off and there are words missing !

It must have a medical name or should I just slow down and be more careful :roll:
Have the same complaint, it's called old age. :)

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

b33jay wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Use grammarly which will highlight errors in spelling, grammar and missing articles, definite or indefinite. Not foolproof but can help when 'proof reading' script.

https://www.grammarly.com/
I will take a look at that again, thanks. I’m not sure why I was put off by it last time I looked it. I think I tend to just speed read when it’s not work related, far more methodical with that and tend to read everything out loud which highlights errors to me.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

DominicBest wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am
It is almost impossible to proof read your own work because you know what you expect it to see. Back in the days of writing school reports they were all proof read and it was rare to find one that wasn’t in need of a bit of editing. It was amazing how quickly teachers took to word processing when they realised how much quicker it was to edit and reprint something electronically rather than re-write the whole lot in your best, best handwriting.
IMO
Although computer technology has increased one’s ability to do stuff, it is also a driving force behind people not using their brains and could have a knock-on effect further down the line

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

You're not wrong there, Nifty, texting and the like has already had a detrimental effect on the written language skills of the younger generations.

At one moment in my life I thought about becoming a professional proof reader and started studying for it (laziness and lack of ambition soon stopped that), and one of the methods suggested, to avoid the brain compensating for mistakes, was to read a document backwards. Having not gone further in the course, I'm not sure it was a successful method.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

I used to produce the village newspaper/magazine four times a year. Each individual article was proof-read before insertion then again after each page was completed. When I'd finished the whole thing was sent out to our proof-reading team before going to the printer who also gave it a quick check. EVERY bl**dy time we managed to miss some errors which leapt off the page as soon as I picked it up!

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

Nifty wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:06 pm
DominicBest wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am
It is almost impossible to proof read your own work because you know what you expect it to see. Back in the days of writing school reports they were all proof read and it was rare to find one that wasn’t in need of a bit of editing. It was amazing how quickly teachers took to word processing when they realised how much quicker it was to edit and reprint something electronically rather than re-write the whole lot in your best, best handwriting.
IMO
Although computer technology has increased one’s ability to do stuff, it is also a driving force behind people not using their brains and could have a knock-on effect further down the line
In the example I gave the use of technology improved the content of the reports no end. They could be written with 100% of concentration focussed on the child without worrying about perfect presentation. Technology in practise at its best.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Stompie wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm
I used to produce the village newspaper/magazine four times a year. Each individual article was proof-read before insertion then again after each page was completed. When I'd finished the whole thing was sent out to our proof-reading team before going to the printer who also gave it a quick check. EVERY bl**dy time we managed to miss some errors which leapt off the page as soon as I picked it up!
:P That makes feel not so bad other than what I had reread that prompted my thread had a rather significant missing word which changed the whole meaning of what I was trying to say and convey. Damn that missing "NOT"....

Edit see what I mean, I'm sure ME was in there when i read it over :lol: :lol:

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

I'm typing on my phone which is way too small and I'm being very careful. I am in Spain and forgot my tablet. The phone is at least helping me out so I'm surviving. I can make corrections reasonably easily. I am staying in a 9th floor student flat in Malaga. Its a hoot. But so far I'm doing OK. Today im making marmalade from the Séville oranges which are everywhere.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Enjoy your stay, Jo - and the marmalade. I doubt I could spell anything right on a phone, don’t like my husband’s little ipad keys, too hard to hit the right letter - a big ipad is OK.

Tom

Post by Tom »

They could be written with 100% of concentration focussed on the child without worrying about perfect presentation. Technology in practise at its best.
:lol: Isn't that a typo DB?
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash