Making mistakes typing stuff up.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
After the Storm

Making mistakes typing stuff up.

Post by After the Storm »

I seem to have this fantastic ability to miss out words which even though when I read it over my brain just puts them in there. It’s not until I go back and read it that I see if there any mistakes. None of that is for any work related stuff, must concentrate more with that but certainly done it on here and in messages and on twitter :oops: so sorry if I’d had to go back and correct something if it’s befuddled you, it might become clearer a few hours later when I reread it and correct what I’ve written. Saw one huge error last night, hence this post.

Nifty

Re: Making mistakes typing stuff up.

Post by Nifty »

Hmmm. (Pensively)
Last edited by Nifty on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

I find if I read the same document through multiple times the brain seems to know what is coming next and tends not to spot errors.

Take a break and come back later. I am just working through a document I wrote before Xmas and I am amazed at the number of bits (mostly formatting) that I missed.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

You are not alone ATS, I can type a post, check spelling, punctuation and then preview it and post.

Then I see it on the forum and the punctuation is off and there are words missing !

It must have a medical name or should I just slow down and be more careful :roll:
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

I watched this programme last night as I was interested in and as it happens on Monday I started the 5:2 - sound daft but I felt a lot happier yesterday not sure if it's helping the grey matter yet!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dbdm
‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

This happens to many, maybe I’ll be ok though because I am not American.

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia ... alzheimers

Ally

Post by Ally »

American? I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering if you are of this planet Nifty. But please, don't go changing. 😉
Gone to better place, which, quite frankly, could be anywhere.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

It is almost impossible to proof read your own work because you know what you expect it to see. Back in the days of writing school reports they were all proof read and it was rare to find one that wasn’t in need of a bit of editing. It was amazing how quickly teachers took to word processing when they realised how much quicker it was to edit and reprint something electronically rather than re-write the whole lot in your best, best handwriting.

DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

I find it very difficult to spot mistakes on a monitor or tablet screen. However, I’ve found it much easier to proof long documents by printing them out. Mistakes that I can’t spot on a screen seem to leap out. Obviously impractical for short posts but useful for long documents if you’re submitting them elsewhere.
“Information is not knowledge."

b33jay

Post by b33jay »

After the Storm wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:17 am
I seem to have this fantastic ability to miss out words which even though when I read it over my brain just puts them in there. It’s not until I go back and read it that I see if there any mistakes. None of that is for any work related stuff, must concentrate more with that but certainly done it on here and in messages and on twitter :oops: so sorry if I’d had to go back and correct something if it’s befuddled you, it might become clearer a few hours later when I reread it and correct what I’ve written. Saw one huge error last night, hence this post.
Use grammarly which will highlight errors in spelling, grammar and missing articles, definite or indefinite. Not foolproof but can help when 'proof reading' script.

https://www.grammarly.com/