Builder burns house. Who is the Insurance expert

FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: Builder burns house. Who is the Insurance expert

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Do I take it that you're asking the question because the buyer got in touch basically saying, "Help!"? If so, that's over and above the call of duty and you'll both go to heaven.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

mysty

Post by mysty »

When people buy from us the after sales service is free.
We have even done hospital visits, when a buyer hit a Frenchie and it was not the Frenchie who was on the wrong side of the road. :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Not a lot like you about, kudos.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

exile

Post by exile »

Catrose wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:08 am
A much smaller example than a house burning down, but we had a flood in our flat caused by the neighbours. Absolutely nothing to do with us and not our fault, although it was our flat that was damaged. However we had to supply our insurance details, and in the end it was our insurance that paid for it.... Why I do not know, as no-one could give us a sensible explanation. My guess is that big insurers have various tit for tat agreements with other insurers, so this might be the case here too.
Could be you are right.
Alternatively, your property is insured with your insurer, hence they pay. However it may well be that they claim off your neighbour's insurer since it was a problem in their property.
The reason I suggest this is that we had a flooding problem caused by our plumber, who had left the area in the interim. Our insurer paid up but was trying to trace him and his insurances.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Just curious, how did they they buy without insurance, we had to provide a valid insurance document to the Notaire before the sale could proceed ? Or was a private sale with no Notaire etc?

JD

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

JohnnyD wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:09 pm
Just curious, how did they they buy without insurance, we had to provide a valid insurance document to the Notaire before the sale could proceed ? Or was a private sale with no Notaire etc?

JD
All sales go through a notaire. What cover was required when you bought your house? Did it include cover for fire?

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

It does include cover for fire, but I have no idea if that was required, I just followed the advice of the estate agent and went to CA for the first year till we understand it more...

JD

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

All we needed was some third party cover as our house, like the one in this thread was more ruin than home.

exile

Post by exile »

If you have a mortgage on the purchase the notaire will require sight of an insurance policy to protect the financier.

mysty

Post by mysty »

It's actually very difficult now to get insurance for wrecks or even worse if your a property dealer.
No insuranace company in France will insure property owned by marchand de biens‬.
Up until about 2014 it was not an issue you could insure anything.
Even if we walk into a tin pot middle of no where agency and take out insurance cover for a house owned by the company, they will take the money but when the contract gets to their head office we always get the money back and a recoded delivery letter saying they cannot insure the property.
So all the properties we have, other than ones that are in our own name are uninsured.
Notaires or banks who have not dealt with us before say thats nonsence and they have insurance brokers who wiill be able to offer cover, it's always the same they cannot help.
We have never had an insurance claim against the company in all the time we have been doing this.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience