Killing small birds

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Gardengirl

Re: Killing small birds

Post by Gardengirl »

I’ve never sprayed my apple trees. The only prevention against insects I use in my apple trees nowadays are pheromone traps, other than picking up remaining fruit from the ground when birds have lost interest.

I only ever used grease bands once, I used cardboard shields around the trunks of the trees instead, even used old tights tied around tree trunks too.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Nifty wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:32 pm
If you are interested in doing the small bird population a favour, then kill Jays and Magpies.
Aren’t cats one of the most prolific killers of birds?

Some good tips on here, the photo was shocking but is an effective way to get the message across to use other kind of ways to feed birds.

One thing I started doing years ago was reducing my speed when driving as soon as I was off a main road and not going to be holding anyone up and cause problems. The last few klms on the tiny country lane to this house goes through a forest and past fields, you wouldn’t want to drive it fast (even though the locals do) and with the near misses with the birds day and night, going slower greatly increases the chances of them avoiding you.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

After the Storm wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05 am
Nifty wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:32 pm
If you are interested in doing the small bird population a favour, then kill Jays and Magpies.
Aren’t cats one of the most prolific killers of birds?

Some good tips on here, the photo was shocking but is an effective way to get the message across to use other kind of ways to feed birds.
If cat owners are really serious about it, perhaps they should consider having their cats destroyed if they can’t keep them under control.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

I'm not advocating killing anything nifty, just want to get that clear :D just maybe get some neutered or maybe a collar with a bell but those worry me too if they don't slide off easily.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

I would rather have a nice bird any time. Circumstances allowing.