Killing small birds

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Tom

Re: Killing small birds

Post by Tom »

:) I like all the corvid family... such smart birds. Jays are normally quite shy so it's good to be able to see them close up, although six are maybe a tad too many. However, the smaller birds don't seem to be too troubled by them.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Exile, no, but I won’t use net bags just in case; I buy large tubs of fat balls and put them into hanging metal holders.

I quite enjoy watching jays galumphing about.

Tom

Post by Tom »

:D Last week at LeClerc big bags of Pictou sunflower seeds were on sale at €2.95 and the yellow seeds at €2.35. Never seen them that cheap anywhere before for years.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

I like to see birds as well. Early last spring I was aware of several pairs of small birds nesting around our gaff. Then two pairs of magpies, for the first time as far as I am aware. Later, I found several of the nests of the breeding pairs on the ground.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

I feed my chickens really good food therefore I feed every other bird in the vicinity, that’s life. At the moment I’m seeing some lovely plump robins so I think what comes around goes around. Eventually some very healthy robins will migrate elsewhere with my help. I’m sure they’ll come back next winter.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

SW31girl wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:34 am
I feed my chickens really good food therefore I feed every other bird in the vicinity, that’s life. At the moment I’m seeing some lovely plump robins so I think what comes around goes around. Eventually some very healthy robins will migrate elsewhere with my help. I’m sure they’ll come back next winter.
The robins are partial migrants : they can migrate to North Africa from September to April. In France they are mainly sedentary, but their population even increases during the winter by an influx of individuals from northern Europe.

I also thought that they were migrants, but I googled it because here, we look to have more of them in winter due to our generous benefits.

Anyway, yours, being plump, might not be able to take off or fly on long distances ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

Exile, please look at the old post "Reminder" in this section of the forum where a photo of a trapped bird in a fat ball net appears.
As for the fruit tree sticky paper, I did not take any photo of the trapped birds. But don't let any of this put you off your beliefs, it could all be fake just like the the earth not being flat. Twit (that was a bird call).
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest »

exile wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 pm
Nifty wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:32 pm
If you are interested in doing the small bird population a favour, then kill Jays and Magpies.
And how is that different from a gamekeeper killing harriers, osprey, and other birds of prey in order to protect his pheasant and grouse?

On the subject of tree bands, we have never had a bird caught on ours, so it may depend on the brand used, or even if they are correctly applied.
As for nets around fat balls, it is an often repeated warning but we have never seen any bird caught up in the nets of our balls. A number of our hangers actually need the net to hang the ball from, so removing the net is not an option. So a genuine question on this one, has anyone here actually seen with their own eyes a bird caught in one of these nets?
I was the one who posted the original 'Reminder' and yes I have seen it a Great Tit hanging helplessly from fat ball netting.
Apart from getting their feet caught up in the netting they can also inadvertently bite off bits of the netting, fly away in distress and choke to death.
You might not witness it with your own eyes but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

There are several types of cages available that hold fat balls without the netting so all one has to do is cut off the netting and pop the fat ball(s) in and hang the cage up in place of the netting. It's simple, cheap and can save their lives. What's there to argue about?

Does one have to have seen it before taking precautions?
fatballnet.jpg
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Ralph Inge

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

That is a terrible photo, but thank you for showing it.

Thanks to all who warn about the dangers of net bags and all those who don’t use them.

exile

Post by exile »

Thanks for the picture which at least shows that this is not an urban (AKA Facebook) myth. I will look to change the rest of our feeders(we already have the basket type and these are fed unnetted fat balls), but the ones that rely on the netting are particularly favoured by our Marsh Tits, who tend to avoid the other feeders.

Regarding the grease bands, I did suggest that it may be down to brand. Having checked ours, I really doubt that the tack would be strong enough to hold a healthy bird of any size. I do however accept that other brands may have a much stronger glue. However, what are the alternatives? Fruit that is so badly insect damaged that it cannot be stored. Alternatively spray nasty insecticides and quite probably do far more damage to the bird population.