Someone else with my email address?

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
rabbit

Re: Someone else with my email address?

Post by rabbit » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:01 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:37 am
Well, I've changed the password, just in case. Also, I checked Paypal, and there are no suspicious transactions.

There were two emails. The first welcomed MrX (same name as me) to the company, and confirmed his account detsails - email address and password. A closer look at the details reveals that the email address has an upper case "I" whereas I use a lower case "i". So there's one answer. The second email confirms product, delivery address and paypal account used, none of which have anything to do with me. The company, by the way, is UK Saunas.

Everything looks kosher, but I think that someone (the company or Mr X) mistyped the email address at some point.

I'll let you know if there are more developments. Thanks for the support and advice.
To put your mind at rest you could try sending an email to the email address with the upper case I and see if you get a response.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:42 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:37 am
A closer look at the details reveals that the email address has an upper case "I" whereas I use a lower case "i". So there's one answer.
Email addresses are case-insensitive and always have been since the protocol was devised.

I think your second guess - transcription error - is the likely culprit, but (as others have said) remain vigilant!
Same old nonsense.

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:44 pm

There'll either be a link or a document attached - probably what's been ordered.

The link/document is the scam/virus/adware whatever - its common. Along with Delivery information for parcels you're not expecting