Someone else with my email address?

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
jollyjack

Someone else with my email address?

Post by jollyjack » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:59 pm

I didn't think it was possible for an organisation (in this case, gmail) to issue the same email address more than once. However, this morning I received two emails in my in-box. Somebody with the same name and email address as me address had ordered a product (for delivery in Scotland - I'm scottish), paid for with a (non-me) Paypal account. I have done nothing with these emails, other than reading them - never in a million years would I reply to them/forward them/follow the link. The company has what seems to be a real website with a telephone number. Google brings up at least two hits on them, but a BT telephone directory search doesn't find them. Googling their number finds them. If it's a fraud, it's very elaborate.

I've had this email address for 20+ years so I reckon I'm the first owner of it. I use it regularly, so it's not as if it deserved to be recycled.

So, what do I do? It looks like a mistake with emails. If I ignore them, the poor guy may not get his product (serves him right for living in Kilmarnock...), but I'm not worried about that.

??

Cheers
Last edited by jollyjack on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DominicBest

Re: Someone else with my email address

Post by DominicBest » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:20 pm

It would be impossible to have two identical email addresses. Are there any letters in your email that could be confused with a number for example? If so it’s possible that someone somewhere has made a typo.

jollyjacks@gmail.com
joIIyjacks@gmail.com

Spot the difference?

exile

Re: Someone else with my email address?

Post by exile » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Hmm.
UK (I assume) Company with a telephone number that BT does not recognise - the fish are beginning to stink. Companies are not normally ex-directory. If you ring expect it to be remotely diverted to a premium service number costing you hundreds of Euros per minute.

If it is a genuine mistake, they have the guy's address, they have his paypal payment, so unless it is an IT download that he has bought there is no reason he will not get his goods.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:44 pm

Typo was the first thing that sprung to my mind as well. If it was me, I'd phone the company and explain what's happened.

Having seen exile's response while I was typing, I'd go to the company's website and use a contact method.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Ally

Post by Ally » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:45 pm

In true forum fashion, I'm offended. My cousin, Jack Jolly, lives in Kilmarnock. In HMP Kilmarnock as it happens. For internet fraud. What were the chances?
Change must come.

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Ally wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:45 pm
In true forum fashion, I'm offended. My cousin, Jack Jolly, lives in Kilmarnock. In HMP Kilmarnock as it happens. For internet fraud. What were the chances?
Don’t be offended they are talking about Jack J0lly
These users thanked the author rabbit for the post (total 2):
Ally (Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:07 pm) • After the Storm (Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:12 pm)

jollyjack

Post by jollyjack » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:57 pm

For some reason, the default setting for postings is NOT to receive an email when there are replies. Don't understand why, but whatever...

@Ally, I thought I might offend you. So, your cousin is in HMP Kilmarrnock. The white sheep of thhe family?

@DominicBest, I can't spot the difference. Maybe the guy typed something wrong, you're saying?

I'm not going to do anything. As you say, they have his payment details, he had enough nous to order the product in the first place. I'll leave them to it. My main concern was that they'd be able to empty my swiss bank account. As long as I amhappy they can't, I won't lose any more sleep.

Thank you

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Jollyjack, if you would like to be notified of new posts to this thread then you just need to click “subscribe topic” below.
Tory cabinet - "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

Ally

Post by Ally » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:14 pm

white sheep
That's nearly an anagram of what he really is. Maybe a future clue for defs enigmatic.
Change must come.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:40 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:57 pm
For some reason, the default setting for postings is NOT to receive an email when there are replies. Don't understand why, but whatever...

@Ally, I thought I might offend you. So, your cousin is in HMP Kilmarrnock. The white sheep of thhe family?

@DominicBest, I can't spot the difference. Maybe the guy typed something wrong, you're saying?

I'm not going to do anything. As you say, they have his payment details, he had enough nous to order the product in the first place. I'll leave them to it. My main concern was that they'd be able to empty my swiss bank account. As long as I amhappy they can't, I won't lose any more sleep.

Thank you
I’m suggesting that the company added your email to the orderer’s account by mistake. The difference between the two email addresses that I typed is that the first contains two lower case Ls (ll) the other two upper case is (II). In that example 0 and O could be misread as could S and 5. Years ago the office staff where I worked asked for some assistance because a spreadsheet that they were using contained errors. It turned out that the original that they had been sent out contained zeds in a few places where there should have been twos, the difference between z and 2 had confused them.