Boiler packed up last night

JohnnyD

Boiler packed up last night

Post by JohnnyD » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:21 pm

Afternoon all.....

Boiler has been working perfectly since we arrived on the 27 Dec, yesterday we had an oil delivery of 500 Litres, the guy told us to leave it for 2 hours for sediment to settle before using boiler again, switched boiler on 5 and a half hours later and after a while the cellar had fumes/smoke in it it had not had before, then a bit later the boiler stopped working altogether, so no hot water or heating........any ideas anyone?

It’s a Franco Belge optima 3000

A very cold JD

Mike

Re: Boiler packed up last night

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:33 pm

Turn off the feed line and take off the filter and give it a clean, perhaps even run off a bit of fuel to see how much water is in it, generally this is what cause's most oil boiler problems.

chrisell

Post by chrisell » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:03 pm

It sounds like you've crud in the system somewhere. If the system was nearly empty chances are despite leaving it you've stirred up the crud and its got into the feed line.

As Mike says hope its the filter - if not you've probably got a blocked jet. Could be something entirely unrelated to the delivery - but start with the obvious.
Either the way the filters easy- after that I just call a man

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:11 pm

If you don't know enough about your oil system, don't attempt this, on the oil pump itself below the cover is another filter, generally it's four cap head screws to get it off, this filter is very fine and will hold water, it always surprises me how much crud is in there when I carry out my year end service considering I have two other filters prior to the oil getting to the pump.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm

UPDATE

Found a reset button on the big red burner box, pressed it and the boiler came to life again, it was a bit iffy for a few mins ie the burner was kicking in and out, but then seemed to settle down......its been working OK for a few hours now and the smell is getting less, I am assuming it was crud or moisture of some sort which has now cleared out of the fuel line? I know nothing of oil fired boilers, only UK gas boilers.....

Here are a few pics of the fuel lines and filter I can see ...... why two pipes, one blue and one red? is it a pressure equalisation of some sort?
IMG_1937.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg
JD

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:51 pm

One of the pipes takes the oil from the tank to the pump. As the pump sends more oil to the jet than it needs , the left over is sent back to the tank via the other pipe. The drawback of that is the fact that the oil is permanently stirred in the tank. To prevent that, in recent hi-tech boilers, the pump is electronically controlled and only sends to the jet what it needs.
This might clarify: https://conseils.xpair.com/consulter_pa ... onseil.htm
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm

If both of the flexible's go to the pump then it's a two pipe system that re-circulates the oil through you filter to allow pre-heating, if the two pipes go back to your oil tank then as above it can cause problems of stirring up sediment in the tank, this can be by-passed with the use of a "Tigerflow" unit.

Sorry did not know you had little knowledge of your boiler otherwise I would have pointed out the re-set button on my first reply.

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Mike wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 pm
If both of the flexible's go to the pump then it's a two pipe system that re-circulates the oil through you filter to allow pre-heating, if the two pipes go back to your oil tank then as above it can cause problems of stirring up sediment in the tank, this can be by-passed with the use of a "Tigerflow" unit.

Sorry did not know you had little knowledge of your boiler otherwise I would have pointed out the re-set button on my first reply.
Apparently, on the photos, there's 2 pipes up the stone wall near the boiler and 2 pipes on top of the tank.
What is a tigerflow unit ?
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Both pipes seem to go into what is called a Stella 3035 burner/pump? on the bottom of the optima 3000

JD

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 am

Sorry it's a Tigerloop de-aereator unit allows one pipe from the tank and it also allows the tank to be lower than the pump: https://www.commercialfuelsolutions.co. ... rloop.html

The Stella 3035 is the burner unit for your boiler, what we are talking about is the feed from the tank too the burner, I have a Tigerloop with integral filter: https://www.bes.co.uk/tigerloop-combi-o ... KkQAvD_BwE which has reduced the amount of muck that I clean out of the pump filter each year.