Backing up what's on my computer

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
elsie

Re: Backing up what's on my computer

Post by elsie »

A bit of paranoia (and hopefully enough redundancy) here, but then, in a former life, I have been responsible for company computer data centres.

I have well over 1.5 TB of photos, data, etc. on my Windows PC disk drives. That is copied, at least daily to a 4TB Network-attached storage (NAS). However as copying is usually over-writing older data, I might be over-writing good, older data with corrupt, newer data. So for folders which are likely to change frequently, I keep three copies which are updated on a three-day cycle.

My main backup devices are currently three external 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Hubs. One of the three is always at my UK house safe. Another is always in my French fire safe. If in France (I drive), I back up the three disk drives in my PC to two of the drives using Macrium Reflect. There is enough disk space to allow me to keep at least latest and previous image copies of my disk drives on each backup disk, (just in case a backup isn't readable or if I decide I want to go back to an earlier version of a file). I take one of the latest backup drives to the UK to leave there. I back up my UK PC to the older of the drives then in the UK and to the drive I have just brought from France. I then take that older drive back to France.

I also have my three older 2TB Seagate backup drives and keep backups of photos, etc. on those as well.

Make sure you have a means of reading your backups. Many years ago I lost some data because I couldn't read my backup. It was done using a small, fast tape drive. Unfortunately the drive failed, the manufacturer had gone out of business, and other similar devices wouldn't read the special format.

External backup drives aren't much use if they use an external power block and that fails. I think it is best to use external drives which are all compatible to reduce such problems. Otherwise, if a power block fails you will need to open up the external drive, extract the disk, and find another way of connecting it to a PC, if you need to do a restore.

Now Retired

Post by Now Retired »

About 2 years ago I had a complete hard drive failure on my main PC. Fortunately I had backed-up the day before. Normally I only back-up at random times - frankly not often enough.

The interesting thing is that it took me most of a day to load it all onto a new drive (I do have masses of high quality photos).

rabbit

Paranoia?

Post by rabbit »

Google etc offer people free backup services not out of a public service, but as means to get at your data.The amount of data they have to store and administer for backup services is enormous and the cost to them is enormous too. Server farms with backup at geographically different locations cost them millions. They may not be mining that data today but I would bet that is their goal. Then there are photos, sure pattern recognition can glean a lot from an image, but a digital photo has a lot of meta data associated with it- the gps location, the date, time, sometimes even the name of the photographer. It would be easy to build a picture of an individual and the places they had visited over a given period. Very saleable to travel companies. Personally I don’t worry so much about photos, but I am not giving Google access to my financial or medical info.
Incidentally Twitter exists for similar reasons. They have very sophisticated algorithms for mining “big data” and there are countless big data analyst companies who buy access and sell on info to advertisers and companies. Twitter like Facebook etc make their enormous revenues by selling your information

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

After the Storm wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:34 am
now when are we going to arrange the NFF group photo? :P

It's a shame more didn't turn up. I can see you and Mysty in the middle, and Ally of course, but where are the rest?
Same old nonsense.

mysty

Post by mysty »

The guy on the right could be ally. :o you're right flaneur :P
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

After the Storm wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm
... (by the way, can we have a Computers etc category?).
Long day, not long back in, will try to look at doing this tomorrow.
I took a look and I've changed the heading to include computers rather than creating another category. Is that okay or would people prefer a totally separate forum section?

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

After the Storm wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:49 pm
I took a look and I've changed the heading to include computers rather than creating another category. Is that okay or would people prefer a totally separate forum section?
For me, who posed the question, that's fine, AtS.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

elsie wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:33 pm
A bit of paranoia (and hopefully enough redundancy) here, but then, in a former life, I have been responsible for company computer data centres.

I have well over 1.5 TB of photos, data, etc. on my Windows PC disk drives. That is copied, at least daily to a 4TB Network-attached storage (NAS). However as copying is usually over-writing older data, I might be over-writing good, older data with corrupt, newer data. So for folders which are likely to change frequently, I keep three copies which are updated on a three-day cycle.

My main backup devices are currently three external 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Hubs. One of the three is always at my UK house safe. Another is always in my French fire safe. If in France (I drive), I back up the three disk drives in my PC to two of the drives using Macrium Reflect. There is enough disk space to allow me to keep at least latest and previous image copies of my disk drives on each backup disk, (just in case a backup isn't readable or if I decide I want to go back to an earlier version of a file). I take one of the latest backup drives to the UK to leave there. I back up my UK PC to the older of the drives then in the UK and to the drive I have just brought from France. I then take that older drive back to France.

I also have my three older 2TB Seagate backup drives and keep backups of photos, etc. on those as well.
While I appreciate that an over-abundance of caution is sometimes necessary, Elsie, what is it that you do now that requires all that effort (I accept that it's not effort but habit for you, but you know what I mean)? How much of whatever you have stored is likely to see the light of day again?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

elsie

Post by elsie »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 pm
elsie wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:33 pm

snip...
While I appreciate that an over-abundance of caution is sometimes necessary, Elsie, what is it that you do now that requires all that effort (I accept that it's not effort but habit for you, but you know what I mean)? How much of whatever you have stored is likely to see the light of day again?
I don't know. It is quite possible those who might look aren't even born yet. But it is there. It doesn't take too much time as much of it is run by automated batch files so it is just a matter of changing disks.

I've become the family genealogist/archivist and have consolidated scanned versions of documents, diaries, photographs, etc from relatives in various countries. I kept and have scanned all my negatives and slides (over 20,000) since I bought my first 35 mm camera aged 16 together with all a larger number of digital images since 2004.

I have friends who have lost the photos/videos of their children growing up (and their own memories) due to burglaries/disk crashes, a flood, etc. And I lost a lot of my own visual memories as my father purged his boxes of photos and negatives without telling me (or my sister). He threw away all the negatives and most of the prints, just creating a few additional selective albums of photos of interest to him. I have scanned all those remaining photos before they degrade further and colour-corrected many of the faded versions.
Last edited by elsie on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Talking of future generations, if you encrypt your backups / data store and it contains family history etc, make sure one of them has the password.