Backing up what's on my computer

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
rabbit

Re: Backing up what's on my computer

Post by rabbit »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:32 pm
Flaneur wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 pm
If you actually have only 170Mb, though, you probably need nothing more than Google, and it's free for 5Gb!
Several people here seem to be anti-Google due to its links with I can't remember what.
The reason some people are anti Google is because they mine user data to provide information to sell to advertisers. This can lead to better targeted advertising. This is how Google manage to provide all their services free to the end-user and how they have become such a force in the world. Personally I have no problem with them looking at my searches, but I wouldn't give them( or any other large corporation) my backup to look after as there is too much of my personal information they would be storing.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Crikey, you lot are nervy! I think you can set your minds at rest, though: millions of people storing anything from a few Mb to terabytes of data, all over the world ... the last thing Mr Google/MS/SpiderOak would be doing is rootling through your photos of your last Costa del Sol holiday. Speculative searches just don't get done: the practical difficulties are prohibitive and (sorry to bear bad news) we're probably not that important!

As rabbit says, Google has your searches (if you want, use a VPN to protect yourself: the Opera browser - at least - has one built-in), though if you're worried you can use DuckDuckGo. The difficulty of extracting anything more useful from your data is not happening (and imagine the scandal if it were!)

Though obviously AtS's has a lot of very dodgy relatives :D I'd have thought Mafiosi 8-) 8-) but for what M said about her last cannelloni.

Unless that was just a bluff ...

As for governments doing it - that is, I think, a long way off. And to be honest I would think the balance of my secure backup vs the possibility that the govt finds I have dodgy friends whom I don't know are dodgy remains firmly in my favour.
Same old nonsense.

Now Retired

Post by Now Retired »

My family has personal experience of living under a post war USSR controlled regime. Do you know how much personal information the Stasi stored in East Germany. There were spies in every workplace, block of flats, train, bus etc.

Governments can and do change.

So, no off-site back-up for me. No Alexa thing either.

Also, have you read George Orwell’s 1984. It’s where telescreens were compulsorily fitted in each home so Big Brother could spy on you. Today we seem quite content to buy our own surveillance machines for others to see what we’re up to. Some happily give up privacy for so called ‘free services’.

My posting here is enough for a future evil regime to mark me down as one to watch.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Flaneur wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:26 am
Crikey, you lot are nervy! I think you can set your minds at rest, though: millions of people storing anything from a few Mb to terabytes of data, all over the world ... the last thing Mr Google/MS/SpiderOak would be doing is rootling through your photos of your last Costa del Sol holiday. Speculative searches just don't get done: the practical difficulties are prohibitive and (sorry to bear bad news) we're probably not that important!

As rabbit says, Google has your searches (if you want, use a VPN to protect yourself: the Opera browser - at least - has one built-in), though if you're worried you can use DuckDuckGo. The difficulty of extracting anything more useful from your data is not happening (and imagine the scandal if it were!)

Though obviously AtS's has a lot of very dodgy relatives :D I'd have thought Mafiosi 8-) 8-) but for what M said about her last cannelloni.

Unless that was just a bluff ...

As for governments doing it - that is, I think, a long way off. And to be honest I would think the balance of my secure backup vs the possibility that the govt finds I have dodgy friends whom I don't know are dodgy remains firmly in my favour.
:lol: :lol: but I wasn’t talking about being dodgy, I’m just talking about if you go on a march or post things against Trump or protest about something a govt. would prefer people didn’t, like climate change. :P and you have it the wrong way round, it’s me that would be concerned about my family and friends given what I protest about ;) :P
And the technology regarding facial recognition is not quite there yet but when it is, don’t say I didn’t warn you :P .....now when are we going to arrange the NFF group photo? :P

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Musical interlude :lol:

Same old nonsense.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

I am with the external HD brigade, in fact I go one further which means I don't have to remember to back up on a regular basis. I have 2 Sonnics 2TB drives which I plug into the computer each morning after firing up. Then, everything I do, banks accounts, letters, photos, videos etc are done directly to those instead of to the computer drive and no need to schedule backups later.

Mainly because of my enormous range of videos and photos I have 3 earlier ones which are kept in secure storage at home. This storage is a Honeywell fire and water proof portable safe which is about the size of a rather large briefcase. Whenever I go away from home my 2 current drives plus my laptop go into that safe which is locked. (If you buy one of those remember to keep your legs together when you lift it from the postman's van, it is very heavy. :o )

The rather large link below will take you to them, or simply put Sonnics external hard drive into Amazon.uk search.

BTW I am pretty sure I also have a Stasi file under Berlin somewhere due to the beginnings of my journey from a somewhat left leaning youth. :roll:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonnics-Extern ... NrPXRydWU=

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

People who think their data is safe when using "cloud" type storage systems think they are safe because they are encrypted. Cases of important data in the commercial and infrastructure industries being hacked are reported almost daily. Breaking encryption is usually done automatically by machine algorhythms not by individuals sat in front of a terminal so sheer numbers to wade through would not be an issue. The willingness of people to gobble up the new technology without question opens their lives to pretty much anyone, either the highest bidder or a clever and motivated hacker. What is done with the info is usually to do with targeted advertising but not always. The database that is being kept by the NSA and other agencies in the US had to have what is believed to be the largest underground facility in the world built near Salt Lake City, Utah. The one held by Google and its associated companies is a separate thing entirely. Every single Google search and email message that goes to or emanates from Gmail is copied and saved there with identifiable metadata. Wake up people. Or is it "sheeple"?
Last edited by Aardvark on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jsks

Post by jsks »

Should this thread not have its own paranoia sub-forum.

just a Frenchie

Post by just a Frenchie »

I'm not paranoid, I'm just cautious.
I don't think that any of us can tell for sure what cloud providers can do or not, want to do or not, do or not...
And it's because I don't know that I am cautious. In French, we call that "principe de précaution"
IMO, not knowing what can happen leads me to be cautious. better than thinking "oh ! I don't know, let's try and see what happens..."
When I'm not at home, I lock the door... I lock my car on a parking... Does it make me paranoid ?
Many young people today share their life on social medias like Facebook. Do they know that, when applying for a job, their potential employer might investigate easily about them on FB ?
You learn from your mistakes but it's much quicker and cheaper to learn from the mistakes of other people ! :D

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

I lock my house when I leave it and I also lock some outbuildings, I do not lock them all. I take the same attitude towards data. There is a lot of data that I generate, including the photographs that I take and the emails that I receive and send that I’m happy to put on the cloud. The passwords to websites and applications and the important details like card PIN numbers and other security codes don’t go there. The only time that I’ve been worried by information demanded online was when I cancelled a Revolut online bank account after a very brief trial, the personal information they demanded seemed like an application form for identity theft. Mind you, even that was no more information that would be available to a friend who I had paid by cheque. There’s common sense and there’s paranoia and I can see exactly where some posters stand.