Backing up what's on my computer

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
After the Storm

Re: Backing up what's on my computer

Post by After the Storm »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:05 pm
... (by the way, can we have a Computers etc category?).
Long day, not long back in, will try to look at doing this tomorrow.

jsks

Post by jsks »

@FFS

You only need a Gmail account for Drive. The same Gmail account that you use to log into Google.

Tom

Post by Tom »

If you do decide on an external HDD this Seagate is €27.01 delivere if you choose the colour black.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/40000638 ... b201603_55
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

Now Retired

Post by Now Retired »

Feel free to call me paranoid, but I would never back up my personal information to somewhere off-site under someone else’s control. That’s why I use an external hard drive. In the old days I’d back up on CDs which I hid in the shed. The thinking was that a robbery or house fire might lose you the lot.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:30 pm
If you do decide on an external HDD this Seagate is €27.01 delivere if you choose the colour black.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/40000638 ... b201603_55
We back up with one of those Seagate drives when I remember to do it.

When I was typing Seagate I had a strong urge to type 'Seagoon' - Sorry :lol:
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Now Retired wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:09 pm
I have got myself one of these or similar:

WD-Elements-Portable-External-Drive *

It's a separate external hard drive and works just as a memory stick might do. This type of hard drive simple plugs in and is ready to use and shows as another drive , say D or E on your computer. Memory sticks can be a bit unreliable and I prefer the external drive option.

* PS I can't get the link to show. So just google it and a take a look. £50 ish should do it.
I think this is the same as what I use. I back up things like documents and photos about once a month. I have lots of photos every week of our grandchildren in uk. I dont really know how to back up the entire computer.

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Really only 170Mb? My digital camera holds almost 400 times more than that! Don't even bother with online storage get a USB stick as others have suggested, you can get one big enough for your needs from Amazon for about a fiver. I back up about 800Gb to an external HDD and that would take forever to online storage at the speeds we get here. For my photographs I back up to the external HDD and a Playstation hard drive so that I can view on TV.

Flaneur

Post by Flaneur »

Now retired, I think your concern is misguided at least.

Given the tens of millions of users of dozens of online backup services, if your fears were justified then it's surprising no-one has ever reported having his data lost or stolen.

I was like you, even more so: Backup at home and one at the office too. All devices susceptible to loss or damage, of course.

I really don't think anyone at BackBlaze is looking through my family photos or iTunes files or any of the other stuff there :D

But I suppose we all prefer our own solution, in this as in anything else!
Same old nonsense.

After the Storm

Post by After the Storm »

Mmmmh, not so sure about that but then I think I’m becoming a pessimist :)

Imagine if govts. adopt a policy of targeting anyone associated with someone or their family, be it for their political beliefs or whatever they might be concerned about....

“Excellent facial recognition software will be a blessing if you want to identify a figure in an old family photo — but not if a totalitarian regime stops you going where you want when your socially undesirable face appears on a video feed.” (From the FT article I put the link to on the recommended article thread.)

... they would just need to access photos held on iCloud or wherever and very quickly and easily, you could be added to a list :shock: :P

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest »

When I still relied on laptops I backed up all of my files to an external hard drive which itself was backed up. These days my photos are also stored there as well as on the Cloud. The notion that tablets cannot be backed up is not true.