Tax forms

Le Démerdeur

Re: Tax forms

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:42 pm

elsie wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:36 pm
Si vous estimez ne pas être en mesure de déclarer en ligne, vous pouvez continuer à utiliser une déclaration papier.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm with Elsie on this one. From the site she cited, https://droit-finances.commentcamarche. ... bligatoire, the summary at the top states:
La télé-déclaration d'impôts 2018 en ligne sur internet est obligatoire pour une large partie des contribuables, sous peine d'amende. Et d'ici 2019, la télédéclaration des revenus en ligne deviendra une obligation pour tous les contribuables disposant d'une connexion internet.
In the section Dispense, it says:
Précision préalable : les contribuables dont la résidence principale n'est pas connectée à internet (personnes âgées, territoires où internet est difficilement accessible...) sont dispensés de la télédéclaration et peuvent continuer à envoyer des formulaires papier.

Dans une communication aux contribuables, la DGFiP précise en outre que : « si vous estimez ne pas être en mesure de le faire, vous pouvez continuer à utiliser une déclaration papier. » Ce qui laisserait donc supposer une certaine marge de tolérance de la part de l'administration fiscale pour les personnes qui auraient des difficultés pour déclarer leurs revenus par internet.

Dans tous les cas, pour prévenir toute sanction, les contribuables qui ne déclarent pas leurs revenus en ligne malgré l'obligation qui leur est faite doivent faire savoir à l'administration fiscale qu'ils n'ont pas accès à internet ou qu'ils ne sont pas en mesure d'utiliser le service en ligne.
The last paragraph is not the Get out of jail free clause, seeing as you have to actively let the administration know why you can't do it by internet. Mind you, in the Amendes et Sanctions section below Dispense and the Plafonds, it states that any fines (15€ for each déclaration) will only be imposed after two recorded breaches of the regulations, so in theory that means you can have a year's grace before being fined. :D
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

exile

Post by exile » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm

You can declare yourself unable to complete the on-line forms.
Of course if you have already filled out on-line then that might be difficult and you would have to have a good excused for why things have changed.

Since I distrust the security of data on the internet when I was first invited to declare on-line I declined and wrote to say that we were old and not capable of making a correct declaration. So far that has been accepted.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:46 pm

I do admire how well many of you have taken to the jumping through the hoops thing even to researching more advanced hoops, arguing what size and form the hoops actually are etc.

Meanwhile when M. Toutlemonde recieves his déclaration forms in the post he will fill them out and post them back as he has always done, he will just walk round the hoop without even knowing it is there.

I believe it is going to be like many things, Linky meters, gilets flouro, alcotesters etc, a whiff of fear (of a €15 amende :lol:) will get them 99.5% compliance and they wont bother about the 0.5%, it will allow them to retain one token fonctionaire in their old role.

If they are serious then they will just stop sending out the forms to those with an RFR over €15K, then when they ring up to complain they will be told to use t'internet, maybe that is what has happened to my neighbour but all his neighbours have had theirs and someone around here must make more than €15K, in any case he does not have a computer or ADSL connection.

The next time my neighbour tells me that my illegible number plate will get me a honkytonk million Euro amende as he has been saying for 12 years now I will retort that he will be sent to prison in Guyane unless he gets a computer, ADSL and files his tax returns on line :lol:

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:37 pm

I repeat, doing your tax return online is so straightforward and convenient I can’t imagine why anybody would want to stick to the paper versions. That some people brag about refusing to carry out such a simple procedure is beyond me.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 pm

You've got a point, Chancer. It's a similar point to that made when seat belts became compulsory. Now, in countries where they crack down on these things, most people comply and those who don't don't care or don't get caught. I forget to put mine on occasionally, but the last time I forgot, a 45€ 'reminder' put me back on the right path.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 pm

DominicBest wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:37 pm
I repeat, doing your tax return online is so straightforward and convenient I can’t imagine why anybody would want to stick to the paper versions. That some people brag about refusing to carry out such a simple procedure is beyond me.
Nobody is bragging, that is your perception, you dont need to imagine why some people prefer the paper format because they have nearly all explained their reasons.

Open your mind, listen to others and you will see and hopefully understand what is currently beyond you.

Its never too late to begin to understand the views of others and it is very rewarding, it needs the will to do so but should become second nature and effortless.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:04 pm

DominicBest wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 am
I can’t understand the reluctance to submit the tax forms online. It is very straightforward and quick to do. So much better than dealing with all those bits of paper then having to post them.
Simple answer. Because its not that straightforward or quick. I have tried twice but chickened out partway through due to not knowing what I was doing and frightened of making a costly mistake. At least with "all those bits of paper" it give you time to do translations or ask online for help.
Life: Terms and Conditions apply

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Chancer wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 pm
DominicBest wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:37 pm
Nobody is bragging, that is your perception, you dont need to imagine why some people prefer the paper format because they have nearly all explained their reasons.

Open your mind, listen to others and you will see and hopefully understand what is currently beyond you.

Its never too late to begin to understand the views of others and it is very rewarding, it needs the will to do so but should become second nature and effortless.
Really?

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:04 pm
DominicBest wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 am
I can’t understand the reluctance to submit the tax forms online. It is very straightforward and quick to do. So much better than dealing with all those bits of paper then having to post them.
Simple answer. Because its not that straightforward or quick. I have tried twice but chickened out partway through due to not knowing what I was doing and frightened of making a costly mistake. At least with "all those bits of paper" it give you time to do translations or ask online for help.
Online you have just as much time to translate and ask for help and making corrections is easy too. I haven’t checked the dates but in previous years online returns had up to 10 days longer too.
How is it not straightforward? You receive the forms with your basic details already filled in and have the chance to check and correct any errors. (Its highly unlikely there will be any) You then select the forms that you require and the types of income that you are declaring. By the time that you are actually ready to input any data you will only have to deal with the relative sections. You do not have pages of paper to shuffle and search through. For foreign income start with the 2047 and when after you have filled in the relevant sections you are asked if you want to update the 2042. Click yes and the figures are automatically carried over to the correct boxes. French income is then put onto the 2042, any bank interest will already be there so again it’s straightforward. Finally you are given a summary page where you can check your figures before signing off. If you have any UK bank accounts to be recorded on the 3916 any previously declared are already filled out, all you need to do is keep the relevant ones and fill out the details of any new overseas accounts.
Next year you can easily look at your previous year’s forms that are available online to see which sections you used/need to use.
It’s a lot easier than doing it on paper!
These users thanked the author DominicBest for the post:
FrenchForumSurvivor (Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:57 pm)