Windows 7 support to end

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
rabbit

Windows 7 support to end

Post by rabbit »

For those of you still on Windows 7 Microsoft have announced that support will cease in January. The main issue for you is that virus and malware updates will no longer be issued and hence you will become more open to attacks. Hackers will be more likely to target W7 systems as they did when support for XP ceased. So it’s time to move on. No need to panic but don’t leave it too long

Aardvark

Re: Windows 7 support to end

Post by Aardvark »

I have just finished a new desktop PC build. Installed Windows 7 with all the naff Updates removed (the ones with the spyware and nag popups pushing Windows 10, etc.) It dual boots with Linux Mint so I can learn its funny little ways when I fancy having a go at a non-Windows life. I have no intention of giving up on W7 just because of pressure from Microsoft or general paranoia about viruses. The only reason I built a new PC is because finding processor/motherboard combos that will work with W7 are getting harder to find. Hardware issues are the thing that will drive people away from this tried and true OS, not people fretting about hordes of nasty hackers on the horizon.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

If a competent anti-virus software is Windows x independent, it shouldn't worry you what version you have. In any event, since I lost my last hard drive based on Windows 7 two years ago and found someone who had a spare to replace it with, I'm stuck with a message on the bottom of my screen, when everything's minimised, saying, "Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of Windows is not genuine". I've tried all the India-based methods to get rid of it, but it keeps coming back and I've just learned to live with it.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Its a bit complicated to explain but there's a thing called Windows Loader by Daz that takes care of that but as long as you don't mind the nag you can give Microsoft the two-fingered salute.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:29 pm
Its a bit complicated to explain but there's a thing called Windows Loader by Daz that takes care of that but as long as you don't mind the nag you can give Microsoft the two-fingered salute.
I've just looked at that, Aardvark, it looks useful, though the installation procedure seems to be a bit complicated, as you say. Willing to give it a try, though, but one question: how do I temporarily disable my anti-virus?

Edit: I googled my question and found the answer; Google really is proof that if you've got a question, someone somewhere has already asked it and the answer is out there.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

You are correct there mon ami. Google has been a lifeline more than once. I tend to follow seemingly unrelated links that lead to some great tech and niche interest forums. :good:

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Mint just released their update to 19.03 last week - and I too use a mix of 7 and Mint on desktops (and native Ubuntu on servers). And then there is Wine (both sorts).

MS will still be producing patches for 7 - if you pay them - so hopefully Security Essentials will also be maintained. If not there are other A/V products.

Another tip for refuseniks is look at a browser sandbox - like Sandboxie - that puts a layer between your browser and windows.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Sound, effective, and free to do. :good:

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:47 pm
I have just finished a new desktop PC build. Installed Windows 7 with all the naff Updates removed (the ones with the spyware and nag popups pushing Windows 10, etc.) It dual boots with Linux Mint so I can learn its funny little ways when I fancy having a go at a non-Windows life. I have no intention of giving up on W7 just because of pressure from Microsoft or general paranoia about viruses. The only reason I built a new PC is because finding processor/motherboard combos that will work with W7 are getting harder to find. Hardware issues are the thing that will drive people away from this tried and true OS, not people fretting about hordes of nasty hackers on the horizon.
Aardvark MS will stop issuing patches to the O/S for security issues. Anti malware providers can’t do this. You may be competent to overcome this. What advice would you give to the majority of Win 7 users who are not tech savvy?

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I would play it safe and not advise anyone that didn't have adequate understanding of the subject. Apart from keep an up to date Antivirus running, Malwarebytes Antimalware, and probably CCleaner to top it off. Avoid dodgy websites, any email attachments or links from unknown sources, and only download software from the author's site rather than agents that load them with unwanted crap.
If Microsoft haven't managed to patch all the vulnerabilities in the last ten years they should find another line of work. In fact W10 is still getting regular updates, and more than one has had to have an update to fix a troublesome update. The privacy and other issues with W10 are all over the internet like a rash and the user has far less control over how it invades your PC and what it sends back to Seattle for analysis. We are all free to make our own choices. I only speak out to try to convince people they don't have to swallow all the hype.