French credit card

elsie

Re: French credit card

Post by elsie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 pm

bubbles1 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 pm
elsie wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 pm
I have a Cora Visa card which is a debit and a credit card. I get a choice at the card reader each time I use it of debit or credit.

For most purposes I use it as a debit card and the debt is cleared each month by a automatic direct debit.

Just about the only time I use it as a credit card is when hiring a car to pay the deposit (many car hire companies don't accept a debit card since there are no guarantees of funds backing it). The credit card charges are similar to a UK credit card + compulsory insurance but they will make a direct debit of part of the sum owing on the basis the total sum owed will be paid over 18 months. The only change to the sum paid which can be made online is to pay up to twice that monthly sum. To make any additional payment or to clear the total credit debt has to be done by a cheque.

The only problem I've found is although most car hire companies just block the deposit sum on the card and unblock it at the end of the hire occasionally they actually take the money from the account. And on occasions when they have taken the money the refund has gone to the debit card account (the card only has one number for both debit and credit card accounts), so I end up with a credit card debt and usually have to pay one month interest and insurance before the cheque goes through to pay it all off (but I do have a debit account credit to net off against the debit card use for the month!)
Gosh is that your only choice due to circumstances which are private because if not - I would seriously look to change. IMO you are being rippeed of :cry:
Realistically, is it? I never use the card as a credit card unless circumstances are such that only a credit card will be accepted. I don't use a credit card to run up debt.

The monthly debit card debit is effectively just the same as when I had a BarclayCard as I always paid off what I owed every month. So, except in this one circumstance, I never pay interest charges or insurance.

It has happened once in seven years - and happened to be a UK hire. So I ended up paying about 12€. It was the only card they would accept - not even a Lloyds debit card. But it was a small extra cost in the overall transaction - would I have felt "rippeed of" if the car hire had been another £20 and the refund had been to the credit account? Car hire all over the Eurozone has not been a problem. However, that UK car hire company is one I will avoid in the future.

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Kathyc wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 pm
DominicBest wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:25 pm
I have a French credit card through my Banque Populaire account. Each time I use it I get the option to use the credit facility or to use it as a normal debit card.
Does that work in the same was as a UK credit card or is it one where you just settle up at the end of the month?
It works like a UK card, I can pay it all off at once or in instalments.
These users thanked the author DominicBest for the post:
Kathyc (Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:05 am)

Hexenbeest

Post by Hexenbeest » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 am

I still have my Barclaycard - they have my French address where they will send my new card etc. to and they also have a UK address for 'legal' purposes.

I've recently acquired a Mastercard from Carte Zero which is a credit card in every shape and form.
https://www.cartezero.fr/
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Andy72

Post by Andy72 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:33 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems I might be able to keep my UK card with a French address after all but I might well explore the suggested French alternatives as well in case the dreaded B word puts a spanner in the works. As has been said by others, it is not just about having a short term credit line but a CC is useful to have for things like care hire and being insured against faulty goods and where a firm goes bust after you have given them money.
Don’t walk away in silence.

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:07 am

Having regard to the situations related by Fitter and Hexenbeest, regarding Barclaycard, I suspect that as an infrequent user of my credit card (I don't go to the UK much and see no reason to expose my French purchases to the £/€ currency fluctuations) I don't make a great deal of money for Barclaycard and so I was selected for culling as an unprofitable customer!

It would be interesting to know if anyone whilst resident in France has applied for and been successful in obtaining a UK credit card - even if they have 'an address' in the UK that they can give to the credit card provider - without having to produce utility bills and similar evidence to show that they actually reside at the UK address. Certainly it seemsto be the case that the UK banks and other financial services companies have no interest in allowing accounts to be opened by anyone, even if they are British nationals, who doesn't reside in the UK and cannot provide proof of that. Even when I enquired about opening a deposit account with my UK bank, whose customer I have been for over 40 years, I was told that their UK operation could not help me and I was referred to their overseas operation in Gibraltar - who offered me a product with a miserly rate of interest and account charges at such a level that not until I had deposited several tens of thousands of £s would my money be earning anything, as opposed to paying the bank for the privilege of allowing it to use my money!

DominicBest

Post by DominicBest » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:17 am

One of the real problems for a non resident trying to get a U.K. credit card is that the application software checks your credit rating and it’s quite likely that you won’t have one. Bizarrely having no credit rating is considered worse than having a bad credit rating. A few years ago I tried a few providers as I wanted a credit card to be able hire cars at UK airports and I was told, more than once, that having your own property without a mortgage, having no loans and significant savings counted for nothing, they wanted proof that you could pay off debt and the only way that you could prove that you could pay off debt was to have some.

elsie

Post by elsie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Andy72 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:33 am
Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems I might be able to keep my UK card with a French address after all but I might well explore the suggested French alternatives as well in case the dreaded B word puts a spanner in the works. As has been said by others, it is not just about having a short term credit line but a CC is useful to have for things like care hire and being insured against faulty goods and where a firm goes bust after you have given them money.
I've not done so but I think you might need to check whether your French credit card would give cover in case a firm goes bankrupt, etc.; I've not seen any obvious mention of such cover with my Cora Visa card. I know when I had a platinum Visa from an Isle of Man bank there was no such cover so it may be country-specific. However it is possible such cover is provided by French law so there is no need to mention it in the conditions.

I had a quick look to see if there were any other French credit cards and came across www.cartezero.fr which Hexenbeest mentioned. I did a very quick read of their terms didn't notice any such cover, even with the insurance.

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:33 pm

In the UK, consumer protection for credit card purchases is a consequence of the debtor-creditor-supplier legal relationship, which means that if the seller fails to deliver goods or they are defective or suchlike, then both the seller and the credit card company are liable to the purchaser. Whether that is also the case in France, I do not, but would like to, know. However I believe that, effectively, much the same protection can be achieved by using paypal to make online purchases in France.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm

I had a Barclaycard until recently but I have a UK address so there was no problem there, TBH I dont even know how I ended up with it, I did not want yet another credit card and think they must have targetted me with a freebie or cashback promo offer.

Whatever I had it like other just in case bu never used it, every so often I would get a use it or lose it message so would spend on it while in the UK, I know that I use it at least one time a year as its linked to one of the Santander 123 accounts and the sneaky gits will cancel the direct debit if its not used and stop paying the monthly interest.

This year the card expired and they did not send me a new one so I just let it slip, I assumed it was because I had hardly used it, I must check because maybe I am not getting Santander interest again.

primohound
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by primohound » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:42 pm

In response to question about fees to use UK credit cards in france... I have a nationwide visa credit card and have never been charged any fees to use it to buy goods. I also have a co-op visa credit card and that is the same i.e. no fees to use it to buy goods. I think they both make a charge if you use them to draw out cash from a machine. The co-op card does add an extra charge if used to pay an autoroute toll but the nationwide card makes no extra charge for that.