French credit card

DominicBest

Re: French credit card

Post by DominicBest » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:25 pm

I have a French credit card through my Banque Populaire account. Each time I use it I get the option to use the credit facility or to use it as a normal debit card.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:53 pm

I used to pay for my card with CA, but moved to the Carrefour Pass a few weeks ago. Nothing upfront to pay and payment is taken for all spending from my CA account at the end of each month. I haven’t come across any problems so far. I handed back my CA card to be cut up and now only have their cheapie card for paying in cheques; cash withdrawals can be from any machine with my Carrefour Pass card.

Kathyc

Post by Kathyc » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 pm

DominicBest wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:25 pm
I have a French credit card through my Banque Populaire account. Each time I use it I get the option to use the credit facility or to use it as a normal debit card.
Does that work in the same was as a UK credit card or is it one where you just settle up at the end of the month?

elsie

Post by elsie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 pm

I have a Cora Visa card which is a debit and a credit card. I get a choice at the card reader each time I use it of debit or credit.

For most purposes I use it as a debit card and the debt is cleared each month by a automatic direct debit.

Just about the only time I use it as a credit card is when hiring a car to pay the deposit (many car hire companies don't accept a debit card since there are no guarantees of funds backing it). The credit card charges are similar to a UK credit card + compulsory insurance but they will make a direct debit of part of the sum owing on the basis the total sum owed will be paid over 18 months. The only change to the sum paid which can be made online is to pay up to twice that monthly sum. To make any additional payment or to clear the total credit debt has to be done by a cheque.

The only problem I've found is although most car hire companies just block the deposit sum on the card and unblock it at the end of the hire occasionally they actually take the money from the account. And on occasions when they have taken the money the refund has gone to the debit card account (the card only has one number for both debit and credit card accounts), so I end up with a credit card debt and usually have to pay one month interest and insurance before the cheque goes through to pay it all off (but I do have a debit account credit to net off against the debit card use for the month!)

ajm

Post by ajm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Without wishing to tempt fate our Halifax accounts have been registered at our French address with no problems. When our cards ( debit and credit ) are up for renewal they are sent to us here.

Kathyc

Post by Kathyc » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:47 pm

elsie wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 pm
I have a Cora Visa card which is a debit and a credit card. I get a choice at the card reader each time I use it of debit or credit.

For most purposes I use it as a debit card and the debt is cleared each month by a automatic direct debit.

Just about the only time I use it as a credit card is when hiring a car to pay the deposit (many car hire companies don't accept a debit card since there are no guarantees of funds backing it). The credit card charges are similar to a UK credit card + compulsory insurance but they will make a direct debit of part of the sum owing on the basis the total sum owed will be paid over 18 months. The only change to the sum paid which can be made online is to pay up to twice that monthly sum. To make any additional payment or to clear the total credit debt has to be done by a cheque.

The only problem I've found is although most car hire companies just block the deposit sum on the card and unblock it at the end of the hire occasionally they actually take the money from the account. And on occasions when they have taken the money the refund has gone to the debit card account (the card only has one number for both debit and credit card accounts), so I end up with a credit card debt and usually have to pay one month interest and insurance before the cheque goes through to pay it all off (but I do have a debit account credit to net off against the debit card use for the month!)
That sounds like quite a major problem!

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Loiseau wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:23 pm
Is there not an extra charge on the transaction each time you use a UK credit card abroad?
On my NatWest card there is, so I try and remember to use my French debit card as much as possible when I am over there.
Yes there is so just put some bits and bobs on it every few months and pay it off when the bill comes - a few euros for keeping your card - worth it I would say !!!!
WE CAN ALL SEE THE STARS BUT ONLY SOME OF US SEE THE LIGHT :good:

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 pm

elsie wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Gosh is that your only choice due to circumstances which are private because if not - I would seriously look to change. IMO you are being rippeed of :cry:
WE CAN ALL SEE THE STARS BUT ONLY SOME OF US SEE THE LIGHT :good:

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 pm

https://www.cora.fr/fileadmin/communs/R ... 202015.pdf

Revolving credit cards are rare in France so Elsie has done well to find one...

:lol: But I'm going to need more than Google Translate to figure out all the intricacies of this one by Cora.
Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker

pomme homme

Post by pomme homme » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:12 pm

ajm wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:40 pm
Without wishing to tempt fate our Halifax accounts have been registered at our French address with no problems. When our cards ( debit and credit ) are up for renewal they are sent to us here.
I also have a Tesco Mastercard. So far - touch wood - Tesco Bank is quite happy to send both replacement cards and statements to my French address. Thus it does seem to be Barclaycard exclusively that wants to discriminate against UK citizens who are resident abroad.