Mayhem and trouble on the way

A place for some light-hearted chat.
DominicBest

Re: Mayhem and trouble on the way

Post by DominicBest »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 am
Diesel is not cheaper, it would surprise me if petrol was but I don't follow it. The difference is nowhere near what it once was.
At the time my friends were correct. You make it sound as though it’s an enormous difference in price when it’s actually cents per litre. Pay an extra 50c or so on your bill to get home safely or risk the inconvenience of running out? Surely that’s not a decision a sane person should find difficult to make.

Spardo

Post by Spardo »

DominicBest wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:01 am
Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 am
Diesel is not cheaper, it would surprise me if petrol was but I don't follow it. The difference is nowhere near what it once was.
At the time my friends were correct. You make it sound as though it’s an enormous difference in price when it’s actually cents per litre. Pay an extra 50c or so on your bill to get home safely or risk the inconvenience of running out? Surely that’s not a decision a sane person should find difficult to make.
It's not really about running out for me, I try to keep to a rule that a quarter of a tank is fillup time, and plan my cheap sources ahead of any journey. This since with the Berlingo my engine stopped on a bend in a country road as darkness was falling and there was no mobile signal. A blockage due to running the tank too low, not running out.

I, and my Dobermann passenger, was saved by the kindness of a homebound stranger taking me to the nearest signal (in the wrong direction for him) and then calling Aviva for me to avoid my difficulty with French on a mobile phone. :D

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

One of my geeky colleagues used to track his driving and fuel consumption to the nearest mile. All was good until he reversed over something and slightly indented his tank making it hold slightly less petrol. He ran dry on a lonely country road.

This was in the era before mobile phones - luckily he was driving a colleague home so was not alone.